annamcnuffPlaying frozen footsie with Mount Fitz Roy, part one: 'Ummm, Faye. I'm worried I might have gone mental.'
'Huh? Why?' Says Faye absently mindedly from the bed adjacent to mine.
'Well, my toes are itchy. They were itchy last night, and they're itching now.'
'What kind of itchy?' Faye enquires.
'Like a stingy, burny kind of itchy...'
'Get your sock off then, let's have a look.'
Sitting on a bed in a hostel, in the town of El Chaltén, I remove my left sock. 'Woah!' Says Faye, leaning in to get a closer look. 'Mate - that is not good.'
Staring back at us from behind my recently removed left sock are four puffy, red, swollen toes. The skin on them has taken on a shiny quality, on account of it being stretched rather thin. Only my biggest toe seems to have escaped the plight.
I think back to the previous day's events: wading through icy rivers, followed by six hours spent shivering at the dockside ferry shack. Evidently my toes took a battering. There was no hope of playing 'this little piggy went to market', because all of the piggies were ice blocks.
The following morning, as we begin our ride into El Chaltén, I just can't seem to get my left foot to warm up. As we pedal off in the the early morning light, the sun hasn't yet hit the valley and so it feels Baltic out here. I can see my breath on the air and my nose begins to tingle in protest. As the jagged snow capped peaks of Mount Fitz Roy comes into view for the first time, Faye understandably stops at intervals to take pictures. I however, can't focus on anything beyond a searing pain in my left foot.
'Sorry mate, I've got to nail it and get some blood to my toes' I yell as I zoom past her, pounding on the pedals, desperate to bring my feet back to life. It seems to work and eventually the blood returns to my extremities. Although my toes are still numb, tingly stumps when we make town, I don't think anything of it until they start itching again that afternoon...
#roamtheplanet #theoutbound #ventureout #mindthemountains #cyclingtour #caxtonadventures #cyclinglife #destinationearth #stayandwander #staywild
- annamcnuff#keepitwild #wildernessculture #lifeofadventure
#simplyadventure #staywild #exploringtheworld #lovelifeoutside #adventure #adventureblog #travelblogger #adventureaz #adventuretime #travelstoke #travelgram #pasionpassport
- guru_ndblUsed to get red, tingling toes and/or fingers as a child after playing outside in the snow getting boots/gloves wet. Painful getting re-warmed, but it all worked out okay. Hope yours does too!
- juanferdarBeautiful place , amazing 👏👏👏
- mike45acpReally gorgeous!!
- hpinknessI so know that numb cold toes feeling. It's not pleasant especially when cycling! Good luck. Hope it get better soon xx
- lindseycole4Oh chica. Wiggle wiggle wiggle xxx
- scampercookieI'm so glad you made it!!!!!!! It's so incredibly beautiful. Stay strong, little toes ☺️
Log in to like or comment.