nytimes@ashgilbertson, a photographer with @viiphoto, photographed young asylum seekers attempting to stow away on a freight train on the outskirts of Thessaloniki, Greece. Their hope: to reach central Europe by rail. While photographing the kids, @ashgilbertson watched security officers arrive — not to remove them, but to advise them to mind the electrical wires and not hide above the wheels. Their warnings were given in English, but the kids spoke only French and Arabic. Fearful of giving up their hiding spots, they refused to make a sound. @ashgilbertson watched the train take off. The boys will most likely be back, though; they’re usually caught at the Macedonian border and have to walk the 50 miles back to Thessaloniki, he writes. Then they try again. @ashgilbertson took this photo in Greece while on assignment for @UNICEF. Visit the link in our profile to see more of his photos in #nytopinion.
- mpezellwegerGood stuff!! :) Awesome page :)
- blackmagic.4lifeHopefully they fall and get run over
- petersedlacikThis is wonderful :)
- hermanlarrygeorge@danpotter62 'Virtue signaling' is a term that people without empathy use to project their own deficiencies on others.
- yanakilims2Painful and shame on humanity the way one is dealt with according to where one was born an act completely out of ones choice
- thamaralvaWow! :-(
- tonio1789On the way to bomb Germany
- wearewaitronOk. Now this is pretty awesome.
- archipelago_adamWhat a shame! When wealthy neighbors such as Saudi Arabia or UAE just watch this human crisis unfold in front of them or even support these wars by providing resources to radical islamists, but it's almost, always the west who must be constantly reminded of the tragedy and feel guilty. Did you know how much Qatar spends on World Cup? How much Abu Dhabi spends for Louvre Abu Dhabi? Not to mention gold coated super yachts, airplanes and airports... What is their plan to help this young, Muslim kid trying to escape war, poverty and violence?
- yasminezara@elizabethdaniels01 💔😢
- elizabethdaniels01@yasminezara heartbreaking
- fannysantana123God help him please
Log in to like or comment.