hellopoeFor those people who aren't so into captions: Hi, I had a lovely afternoon with my dear friend Simon, and here's a portrait I shot of him that I really love...
For those who do read further: Hi, today was kind of wonderful. My friend Simon and I always meet up at Picturehouse Central (where we're both members), but today he insisted on meeting somewhere different. Almost as soon as Simon and I sat down in a bar in Soho, a woman named Janice sitting opposite us struck up a conversation with us... And it turned out to be a profound moment for us both.
It turns out that a long time ago now, in the 1980's, Janice went to the West End with her lover to see the Phantom of the Opera. They were young and in love and it was all very taboo back then. She showed us a photo of them in the train station... In that photograph they are two young and beautiful women. There's a headline about Gorbachev in the newspaper they are holding, and the Andrew Lloyd Webber poster in the background proclaims the cast of the show they are about to see . It was a wonderful and life-altering experience for them both.
Now, her partner has passed, and Janice has since met someone new after a very long time. But today, in 2017, she's headed to the matinee show. The same one she went to 30 years ago with the love of her life. And you know what? She's also got a little rum and coke in her pocket. Just like she did 30 years ago with her love.
Simon and I always get together and lament about the stages of our love lives. What we could/should/might do, given the chance of love. But we can only hope to have a love like the one Janice had. And on this sunny London day, we are so thankful that Janice shared her story with us... So here's a photo of Simon that I love, and a photo of Janice that she graciously allowed me to take of her in the bar we met her in. In her Phantom of the Opera shirt, on her way to honour the memory of the love of her life. We were left in tears after meeting her. We can only hope for such a love.
- hellopoe@lynnandlou Thank you!!
- casafuzetta@hellopoe I'm sure!
- allansosaMy heart just burst. Thank you.
- hellopoe@allansosa Thanks for taking the time to read! ☺❤
- whereissionnieI love this story ✨
- skyish_I really loved Janice's story. It makes me a bit sad to hear stories like hers where someone so loved is now lost but it also makes me happy to know people get to experience love like this. On another note, I've seen Phantom of The Opera with my family many years ago and it was a beautiful experience. Here's to sharing the love! 🙏
- ourwildabandonNo YOURE CRYING
- steffi_daydreamerThanks for sharing her story ❤️
- 8weddingfilmsAww sweet
- omsstephWow, this is entirely beautiful.. just, all of it
- lavinia_cernauJust beautiful! In need of such stories and lives well lived x
- wilsonweddingsphotographyGreat post!
- freckledpizzaThis looks so great!
- longwharfsupplyVery sweet
- zoecaldwelloh my heart!
Log in to like or comment.