courtgardBecause I can…
When I was in 8th grade I told the high school guidance counselor that I wanted to take all of the hardest classes. My mom turned and looked at me and said, “why would you want to do that?!” and my response was, “because I can… And I don’t want to limit my future options.” When I was a junior in high school and I was playing on three club soccer teams, running varsity track, and taking AP classes, my mom asked me, “why do you want to do all of this?!” and my response was, “because I can.” A few days ago I was listening to a @ted radio hour podcast about “Speaking Up.” The first speaker was a gay Muslim woman. She explained how her culture doesn’t allow her to speak up. If she were to be her true authentic self, she could be tortured or even murdered. She mentioned how it was her responsibility to speak up and to be an activist for human rights despite the potential consequences. I got very emotional listening to her points.
As a woman in America, I recognize the freedoms I have. I also recognize the responsibility I have to continue to push for progress. My reality is quite different than hers. My reality is that I am a minority in my workplace. I work every day to make strides to crack the glass ceiling. I want to contribute to progress, whether that is in my corporate career or in fitness.
Think about all of the things you have that others don’t. All of the things you have to be grateful for. All the things you can do simply “because I can.” Appreciate what you have and push for what you deserve.
Photo by @leelhgfx
#SpeakUp #TED #BestSelf #Feminist #corporatechick #leanin #bossbabe
- chaseinfiniteYou are awesome @courtgard awesome
- slimsoul76You look great in the 👗 Who makes it? My girlfriend would love it. Thanks.
- purehardworkGreat message!!
- jimbaptistePowerful message and a lovely shot of you. Thanks!
- lord_stanley_31You are the complete package, love it
- znzambellaHoly amen
- winbig915💕 💓 💕 💓 💓 Gorgeous
- jmseresunI love the dress and the color
- moutonxnoirI wish I would have had that attitude in high school.
- julieanng12@johnkmorris ok John -your *odd*. 😜😳🤗😜 We have got to arrange a dinner & meet🤗🙌🏻🍷🍷
- johnkmorris@julieanng12 any time....
- julieanng12YOU @courtgard are my Gift from God! You were Perfect from the moment you were born & peed on me.... You are the definition of sweet, good, different, smart & driven. #beautiful #insideout #courtgard #courtneygardner
Log in to like or comment.