colbymartinDear Church Leader Friends,
As you finish preparations for this weekend, I want to say three quick things.
1) I get the tension you likely feel leading up to Easter. On the one hand, you feel this impulse to GO BIG! To put on display all of your church's awesomeness, because you might get more visitors than normal. On the other hand, I can imagine that same impulse brings up for you feelings of sadness. Like, if we have to try THAT hard to "convince" people to come to church, ought we? So you're torn between wanting Easter Sunday to be SUPER special, with feelings of not wanting to get tripped up in the trappings of today's milieu of church shoppers and anti-institutionalism, and the cynic. You are seen. You are not alone.
2) Iin the event you DO have a larger crowd this Sunday, consider leaning more fully into authentically playing your cards rather than trying to look good or appeal to the masses. In other words, the more you can eliminate the possibility of the Church Bait and Switch the better. Be fully transparent about who you are as a church. We all scoff at the middle aged person who uses their college day glam shots on dating sites to try and make a favorable first impression, only to have the potential suitor whiplash from the disconnect of what was presented with what is actual. Just be yourself on Sunday. That way, if visitors DO come back, they'll know what they're getting in to.
3) Finally, I want to say THANK YOU. For many of us, we have countless stories and reasons that could easily push us toward joining the growing crowd of ex-Church goers. And yet, there are also so many people who long for a faith community where they are safe, loved, and given room to grow/evolve/deepen. So thank you for doing what you do and taking the hard road of leading a church and shepherding people as best as you can. What you do MATTERS. Please don't let this weekend cause undue pressure on you. Breathe in the gift. Say thanks that you get to do what you do, alongside the people you do it with. And know that we are all cheering you on.
You are loved,
- hayroluqueYou are awesome @colbymartin
- davidjlusterThanks bro. So good.
- matthewnash1Amazingly great and well written post @colbymartin ! Thanks bro!!
Log in to like or comment.