- chrissytherdGrowing up, my great grandma Liz used to make some amazing Hungarian cookies for us. It's still one of my fav recipes to this day, but the half pound of butter and half pint of sour cream doesn't really lend them to being eaten on a daily basis, lol.
I came up with these "hungarian cookie" energy bites using the two main ingredients in my grandma's cookie filling - walnuts and golden raisins. To make these cookie balls, you just mix the walnuts and raisins with some oats, dates, and a little applesauce and voila - a tasty, healthy snack that's only 100 calories a pop and incredibly delish.
The bonus is that these can work really nicely as fuel for my ultra-runners or long distance cyclists. They're a little higher in fat than I'd recommend for shorter distance running (4 g ea) because of potential GI upset, but for those doing the long stuff - that fat can be so satiating and satisfying! Plus, who wants to use gel after gel after gel after gel during those events.
Temp recipe link in profile or find it here: http://www.snackinginsneakers.com/hungarian-cookie-energy-balls/
- bonnietaubdixThese look great!!!
- missrevithanks for the recipe!
- wellthy_mamiAwesome share!
- prepdishLooks and sounds like a great snack for kids too!
- heathersrealfoodAwesome recipe :)
- tradcookschoolIsn't it great to remake family favorites like that? ❤
- fitfulfocusThey sound delicious! I love making healthy versions of my faves.
- shaunalinGreat idea!
- foodhunterWhat a delicious re-do!
- shalamajacksonModifications so you can still enjoy it sounds perfect
- sarahkoszykYum! Love family inspired recipes
- cnc_abbieLove this!
- amydgorinSounds amazing! 😍💕
- abbeyskitchenOh my goodness I could eat these all day long
- betterbymichelleyes yes yes yes yes!
- rdeliciouskitchenLove your healthy twist!
- eleatnutritionWhat an awesome idea!!! Digging the healthy take on it!
- thesnacksocietyPretty awesome!