esarkaye"No, no, one can imagine nothing in the world, not the least thing. Everything is composed of so many isolated details that are not to be foreseen. In one's imagining one passes over them and hasty as one is doesn't notice that they are missing. But realities are slow and indescribably detailed." – From The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge, an absolute favorite. I realized that I have never given a shoutout to good old Rainer, so here it is. 🌬 #RainerMariaRilke
- esarkaye#rilke #germanliterature #literature #poetry #prose #fiction #nonfiction #classics #igreads #igbooks #bibliophile #booklover #bookworm #booknerd #bookish #bookporn #bookstagram #goodreads #alwaysreading #lovetoread #reading #books #book #booksofinstagram #booksandbeans #met_createchange #vscoreads #vscobooks #osspring
- tumultecelesteThe Notebooks of Malte are one of my favorites too.
- esarkayeI had a guy in class once whose name was Malte - he told me he was named after Rilke's protagonist, since it was his mother's favorite novel. I always thought that was awesome. @tumulteceleste
- thecharmedadventureLove these books. Probably time for a rereading.
- mastersinliteratureI think you would like Letters: Summer 1926. It's a collection of letters between Rilke, Tsvetaeva, and Pasternak. Although I'm sure you've read it already!
- hannasafniya_Rilke . My favorite 🤗
- katrinbongardYes, Rilke is great 🌿
- jonathanjbowerI just (finally) got William Gass's *Reading Rilke* in the mail yesterday @esarkaye :) I've "geeked out" on different translations of the Duino Elegies & Sonnets over the years & was thrilled to learn Gass devoted a whole book to Rilke in translations.📖 Good post!
- anicegreenleafI love this book. I bought in German and I can't even read German; I think I was hoping I would just imbibe it.
- harvardpressGreat photo? Mind if we repost?
- booksaurbateinThat's such a great quote. I still have to read Rilke ☺️Happy Easter 🐣
- esarkayeThank you! No, not at all. @harvardpress
- dr___sibaLetters on Cezanne looks good.
Log in to like or comment.