teresastrasserJust finished listening to the #richardsimmons podcast series, and I see why it's so popular. It's curious in our culture, that so deifies celebrity, that someone would opt out of the spotlight, just pull a Brian Wilson, just take to bed for a few years and draw the curtains. Having interviewed him a couple times, I was struck by the force of his energy and superhuman generosity. But I could also see how he could be left without branches or leaves, a depressed Giving Tree needing to stand down. His story is so riveting I couldn't stop listening, but I wondered if that made me part of something exploitive and grimy. I don't know. I just know that like countless others who have felt uncomfortable in our own bodies, I adored his zealous enthusiasm for self-acceptance and related to his bottomless need and felt touched by his magical attention.
- mandysmealsEverything you just said.
- camelbackflowershopReally well said.
- nohjimYou write so beautifully and deeply. Thank you for helping me to understand Richard Simmons and others like him.
- keriamchughYes 🙌🏼
- studio73fineartFirst Class Second Guessers Unite.
- azmerphxWhile on one hand it is not necessarily fair that we as the public intrude on his life, there is a cause for concern when someone who waa so driven to be in the public vanishes. It is a quandary and his choice, but always makes you wonder about elder abuse, etc
- amysilvermanAnd now I must listen.
- bethjvilla"a depressed Giving Tree needing to stand down" such a perfect analogy.
- teresastrasser@azmerphx this is an excellent point. And that maid does seem shady
- teresastrasser@bethjvilla I always loved that book - a visual to illustrate codependency 🌲
- bethjvillaI can't not tear up when reading that book to the kids. "Mommy is crying again"
- alisonlandazI've been torn on listening. I was glad to hear the LAPD went for a well check. I'm behind on so many podcasts, so I'll keep it on the back burner for now.
- bighater1His story needs to be studied. You helped that.
- teresastrasser@jenannphillips best drop ever
- sushisuziHe's quite amazing.
- sparkzbirdHe's the bestest and this is an awesome pic!!! Haha
Log in to like or comment.