europabridge1Currently looking at 'Escape to the Country' a UK TV show streaming on Netflix ... My remedy for the mentally corrosive effects of a shabby New England winter spent in a common garbage-strewn suburbia ... And my photo of the Dorrien-Smith Grade 11 listed home on Tresco is a remedy for commonality.
This is a close crop of the home in the Abbey Gardens, construction which began in 1843-61 by Augustus, though the tower wasn't built until 1891 by Thomas Algernon Dorrien-Smith. It has beams and paneling salvaged from wreckage of the 1861 Award, one of many cargo ships that foundered in the Isles of Scilly during the 19th Century.
I decided to focus on the central tower's details: the asymmetrical window, dental stone feature around the top, rough coursed granite with ashlar dressings, and not shown - terracing that supports an enviable position atop the hill ... overlooking Penzance Road all the way to Pentle Bay! This is a stroll you must take, as the only thing you'll meet on your way will be other strollers or the occasional golf cart ... 😍
What's not to like, except my so-so cell phone shot ... which at least is clear. (Unlike my head -- filled with a pneumonia-like phew!) So, needless to say, I am still missing you ... outrageously beautiful Tresco! 🌞💐💙
- vanessagillespiefinejewelleryObsessed with 'Escape to the Country '
- jane_hattattHardly any people ever do actually 'escape'! But it is always good to snoop around the houses of others....😎
- europabridge1@vanessagillespiefinejewellery Me too ... Netflix carries only 1 very long season. But suspect I'll be watching it again and again, as I do all good British telly streaming here ... ✨✨✨
- europabridge1@jane_hattatt Very much a relative concept ... Compared to chocked filled cities and suburban chock-a-block? Very doable!
- lynda.mavisThat's a great picture. Beautiful stonework. I'm sure all women dream of being Rapunzel with flowing hair in the wind waiting for their heartthrob to appear on the horizon. Never too late Elan......😊💕
- jane_hattatt@europabridge1 we lived in the middle of the Herefordshire countryside for 25 years......so beautiful but we feel we are 'over' the country now.....especially when we walk to the Opera House and the Music Academy from our apartment in Budapest....times change and so do we...
- email@example.com Oh, yes it is ... There are no more White Knights, but plenty of ogres and dwarves! 😱😄
- europabridge1@jane_hattatt Oh, I quite agree ... The great cities are irreplaceable. But suburban sprawl and poor wannabe cities that offer nothing close to London, Paris, or Vienna most certainly will not be missed by me.
- europabridge1@barjo76 🌞🌞🌞
- lynda.mavisGive them a positive wink - you never know....😉😉😉
- firstname.lastname@example.org Darlin', I've been trying to spin gold from Rumpelstiltskin's pee- soaked hay for years ... I need to move on!! 😆😎😂
- email@example.com But smiling, if you can, is always a good idea ... 😘
- lynda.mavisYou have to get some fresh air, that smell of ammonia is clouding your judgement....😁😁😘🙋
- firstname.lastname@example.org I know, and this is the downside of living in an oversized stable for jackasses that's never been mucked out ... 😭💩 #stygianstables #Massacuckoo
- carlie_thelwellGreat photos! 😃😊
- newlandsupplycoNice pic!
- europabridge1@carlie_thelwell Thank you! 🌞
- europabridge1@newlandsupplyco Thanks! 🌞
Log in to like or comment.