travelswithninaSo how does this travel writing thing work?
It's one of the questions I get asked the most, and after a wonderful conversation last night with a dear friend and colleague about the lack of transparency in the industry, and the confusion that all the smoke and mirrors in social media can create, I wanted to share some insights with you guys.
For the work trips I go on, my expenses (accommodation, flights, activities and meals) are covered by the tourism board or company I'm travelling with - that's always clearly disclaimed at the end of each story. But I don't get paid a single dollar until I have my stories published; I usually write two or three a week. At which point I'm paid a word rate (less than $1 per word) and extra for any photos or videos they choose to run with the story.
And that's it, that's how I make my living. A living I spent five years at university studying Journalism and International Studies, and worked my butt off for a decade in the industry, to create.
The blogging, the Instagramming, the Facebooking - I don't get paid for any of that. I do it because I genuinely love sharing and celebrating the magic of our planet with you guys.
It's never going to make me millions, but I don't care because I love seeing the world and, more than that, telling stories that might help open your eyes to some places you may not have considered travelling to before, or help you look at this weird world we live in a bit of a different way.
I'd love to answer any more questions you might have about the industry! Nina x
- yooch_hÜgyes kis Ninácska 😘
- lani_sarosI love you cuz ❤
- paloma_gitanaYou've inspired me since I came across you here on IG 🌎 thank you @travelswithnina
- kikitrippinDear Nina, what camera do you use @travelswithnina
- travelswithnina@citizensoftheworld love you guys, love our chat last night xx
- travelswithnina@yooch_h yooooch! Hi beautiful 😘
- travelswithnina@lani_saros right back atcha cuz xx
- travelswithnina@paloma_gitana that's so nice to hear Paloma, thank you so much for sharing! 🙏🏼💛
- travelswithnina@kikitrippin hello! I use an Olympus OM-D EM10, I love it because it's so easy to use, so portable and fuss-free. I recently bought a new lens for wildlife shooting and it has made all the difference! 🙏🏼
- kikitrippin@travelswithnina oh sweet. Exchangable lenses! Will check this one out! Thank you!
- kiinmaronyThank You for information and best of luck for your upcoming projects nina 😺
- waddupkimLove this - been following along with you for awhile and I love it ! 💓🌸
- travelswithnina@kiinmarony thank you lovely! 🙏🏼✨
- travelswithnina@waddupkim that's so nice to hear, thank you! Just thought people might want to know how it all works ☺✨
- mandala_art_jewelleryThank you for sharing! the world is amazing place and you capture it really well...it's a joy to see through your lens🤗❤
- feesaxLove this! You're such an inspiration x
- travelswithnina@mandala_art_jewellery what a lovely comment, thank you beauty! Happy and safe travels 🙏🏼✨
- travelswithnina@feesax right back atcha sister! I have just been salivating over your Cuba pics xx
- shopverite@shopverite absolutely loves
- travelswithnina@shopverite thank you! 🙏🏼
Log in to like or comment.