cuttlefishloveSo I kind of meant to post this photo over the weekend! I wanted to mark four years since I was pregnant with Squidlet, and to celebrate a very long (count 'em, 69 hours!) but ultimately empowering labour, that left me with a stronger sense of agency over my body than before. I also felt incredibly proud of my body, and of my own mental strength for rising to such a feat of endurance. Having miscarried early in my first pregnancy, I don't know if I really let myself relax into being pregnant the second time around. I was always afraid that if I connected to my unborn child, I might lose her. This added to my sense of bodily disconnection that I first started to experience after I hurt my back. This photo taken by @whelkaholism was also one of the first photos where I truly saw my body as beautiful. I really feel like the warm glow of his loving gaze touched this photo and I was able to see myself as he saw me. There is something slightly bittersweet for me about recognising myself as beautiful during the very end of pregnancy - I only looked like that for a very short period of time. Then with labour, I was delivered a very different looking body to suddenly have to get used to. I do think that having that glimpse of body-love helped set me on a path to wanting that to be 'my normal'. Did pregnancy affect your feelings about your body?
#pregnancy #pregnant #pregnancyphotoshoot
#pregnancyphoto #pregnancyphotography #bopo #bodyacceptance #selflove #selflovejourney #radicalselflove #bodyposi #bodypositive #bodypositivity #embodied #mindfulness #labour #childbirth #woman #portraitphotography
- mama_pinataThis is beautiful 😌💖
- laura_kate_oGod I love this so much. And yes yes yes to everything....I was ashamed to admit I felt totally out of control of my body. And hated every second. It felt like a fight for 9 months (and I'm with you also for the 72 hours she took to arrive). Of course I love her with every inch of my being but those 9 months were totally surreal to me....
- liversidge_aSuch a beautiful photo. Can definitely see the gaze of love and you look so very lovely. Xx
- makedoandpushThis photo is so beautiful 💛 And such wonderful words 💕
- hellohellododoThis is gorgeous Emily ❤️❤️❤️
- charley_yeungSo sweet..Awesome
- sweetiepipsYour last few posts have really resonated with me @cuttlefishlove Thanks for sharing💕💕💕
- catsceramicsI love you post Emily! This photo is gorgeous 💕
- peachytwinsLovely photo, long may you enjoy it x
- cuttlefishlove@sweetiepips aw I'm really pleased that I shared them in that case - I was feeling quite nervous about doing so!
- cuttlefishlove@catsceramics Aw thank you for saying that! It makes it a bit easier typing the soul bearing stuff knowing that it is resonating with people
- cuttlefishlove@laura_kate_o I think that's a really interesting comment - I think that women's diet and exercise culture really conceives of our bodies as something to get under control. It's definitely a shock to realise that with pregnancy and labour you have to relinquish any pretence at control!
Log in to like or comment.