jessaconnolly"You might gain their respect. But I'm worried you won't have people. I'm worried you won't really have community. I'm worried that if they don't see you sin, they won't sharpen you. I'm worried if they don't hear your brokenness, they wont know how to to rejoice in the healing. I'm worried they won't know how to pray for you, and I'm worried that they'll miss out on really feeling ministered to by you. I'm worried that in hiding our cards, we're giving a false impression of a pretend gospel that isn't all that fantastic."
Above is an excerpt from tomorrow's newsletter called: I'll show you my cards. It's filled with thoughts about vulnerability, community, and choosing the gospel over being "respected", whatever that means. :)
You can sign up to receive it via the link in my profile! Nothing spammy and it's totally free, just no filter thoughts from me to you each week.
- tatealexa@nataliefarley unreal.
- staceymariewelchAhhhh that's beautiful and so painfully true and freeing
- oliviaerinmurphyGeez. Yup. ❤️
- spolly270I want a community with you in it!! I want to be the person that encourages and digs deep, but I also need that person and I'm having a hard time finding one that is ready for the deep.
- saskieraHow I will quote you joyfully. Thank you.
- kayeyesquaredI can't wait! Also Jess i was just thinking recently about how much I miss your periscopes in the school car line and your influence classes that you taught. Will u bless us with more of that soon please?? You're one of my distant mentors, always loving to hear your perspectives and what God is speaking to you. Thanks for considering!
- thammniyai@jessicaemcdowell I LOVE THIS!!
- jessicaemcdowellWow, so do I @thammniyai beyond thankful for friends like you. ❤️❤️
- kmhenleySo wonderfully written! Such a huge issue for people and a scary one.
- laughterechosOh girl, I can relate to this so much! Our first year as leader pastor/pastors wife and I am wanting this so much! There is such a stigma on pastors wives to be a certain way and act a certain way and not show feelings. I am the complete opposite of any pastors wife I ever grew up with so this thought process has taken a while to navigate but the Lord is teaching me that He put me in this role for a reason! With all my uncontrollable emotions and heart that hurts deep for others, He doesn't want me to suck it all in and He knows it's impossible. Some Sundays, I walk in church after a crappy morning because my husband has left before sunrise and I'm scrambling to get 4 little kids to church "on time" with missing shoes and messy hair and I walk in the door and just bawl. Sometimes I hide in my hubby's office so no one sees and sometimes I find a shoulder, a friend. This gig is hard and the expectations are tough. Rock on mama, you are onto something that's going to change the church! ❤
- light.and.truth"How great can grace be if you don't really need it? " as a pastor's wife who struggles the line between real and respected, I appreciated this post so much, Jess. Thank you.
- truecottonartOh sister! You had me at #sheepbite 🙌🏻😂😂😂
- jennnkochSaving this newsletter to reread regularly. Such a good, hard, important word.
- teamtolbertThis is so refreshing! Thank you! 💖
- megscunningham@forevercarmz you hear my brokenness, you sharpen me, you rejoice with me ❤️
- forevercarmzLove you! @megscunningham
- jusikamartinezWhat if you show that sin and they drop you?
- peaceloveandsarahtvLove this! @jusikamartinez You take the risk! 😍
- jusikamartinez@peaceloveandsarahtv completely agree. Some don't always turn out "as they should ha.
- sarahlovesportland@jessaconnolly how can I see this newsletter if I wasn't subscribed, but I am now?! I think this is exactly what I need
Log in to like or comment.