worldpressphotoParticipants of the Masterclass West Africa, four women and eight men coming from five different West African countries, are sharing one picture of their Masterclass projects. This is a project by Rahima Gambo @rahimagambo from Nigeria. An increasing number of young people in the largely Islamic, conservative north of Nigeria are abusing medication that can be purchased cheaply in pharmacies across the region. This drug abuse has led to addiction issues in a generation of youth that is causing alarm in wider society. Growing drug abuse among young women and teenage girls traditionally and stereotypically seen as “good Muslim women” have been largely ignored in this conversation or cloaked in a sense of denial and shame. This yet to be titled project aims to tell a visual narrative that spans the categories of photojournalism, documentary and art about the experiences of these young women grappling with addiction in a conservative society that has socially excluded them and deemed them as defected in some way. #wppwestafrica
- iozeoWow. Enlightening
- elifbahsiGood project...
- lapshyna.photoAmazing shot
- d_fatelloGood project :)... but... a question: why only 4 women and 8 men??
- theamanthakurLooking good
- niteenrkSuperb composition and lighting
- adamperez22I see you @rahimagambo
- rahimagambo@adamperez22 thanks Adam! 😂
- worldpressphoto@ezekiele85 We were limited by the number of each gender that applied, but we do strive wherever possible to have a good balance of genders represented in our masterclasses.
Log in to like or comment.