naomibulgerThis letter will go to Egypt when it's finished, so I thought I'd paint some Australian cockatoos, inspired by the Malties bird album (cereal box collector cards from the 1940s). I'm thinking of doing a whole series of Australian native birds based on these cards. Kind of a tribute to Mr B's grandfather, who collected and kept all the cards (he died before I knew him but we just unearthed boxes and boxes of his wonderful hobbies and collections). But then I remembered how I sent a bird postcard to someone recently only to discover she had a bird phobia 🐦😬 What do you think? Would you like to see more painted birds on envelopes fluttering through the post? 🌿 #thesimpleeveryday #shared_joy #styleonmytable #domesticforaging #astilllifestyle #moodymorninglight #ofquietmoments #thesincerestoryteller #distractionsandinspirations #theartofslowliving #loveforanalogue #liveauthentic #prettycreativestyle #collectivelycreate #themakersyear #creativelife #womenwhodraw #cherishandrelish #the_gentle_manifesto #mailthatmeanssomething #morningscenes #deliveredbypost #letterboxlove #writtenbyhand #littlestoriesofmylife #slowlived #naturalillustration #cupsinframes #outgoingmail #vintageephemera
- naomibulger@lesleyinkh they are like your illustrated bird book. Was it Gould?
- naomibulger@mycustardpie I hope so! X
- naomibulger@anabedoymedina I hope you like it! xx
- naomibulger@essiebirdies oh good!
- naomibulger@bbzaza25 I'm so glad x
- naomibulger@bookishbronte oh good! Looks like there will be more to come
- didiariasartYes, more birds. Love them
- naomibulger@steviewordnerd I'm so happy to hear you think so
- naomibulger@sarah_louise_ferg only a blue wren...
- naomibulger@didiariasart thank you! I'm glad you think so
- janeplanetjoyOoh, yes please @naomibulger 🙏🏻. On a side note, do you use kraft paper for printing your envelopes? I'd love to find a source. Ta
- lofipiYes!!! We are spoilt for wondrous birds and choice thereof in Australia. Btw, I sent you my address (by signing up to your website) in the hopes of receiving snail mail from you. I was just 'down the road' in Brunswick too. Unfortunately I'm now in Sydney and am wondering how to ask you to delete that address as I will never receive it now if you did write there. (And can I possibly send you my new address?) 📮📩✉️
- wherethewildflowersdancebrightly coloured birds are always so pretty 💕😌
- lesleyinkh@naomibulger Oh! When I was at school there was a widespread club called " Gould League of Bird Lovers". I think it was run by correspondence! But the book you are thinking of I believe is " What Bird is That" by Neville W Caley. All 495 pages of magnificent illustrations.
- heleenartmailWe all should draw more birds :-) I love Australian wildlife, and I always thought the Kookaburra my all-time favourite bird, but there are so many more great ones! The superb fairy wren, the rosella, the blue colours collecting bird (forgot its English name), this cockatoo, the Australian magpie (who has reversed colours (er, black-white) compared to the Dutch magpie. And so on...
- heleenartmailAnd thank you for sending me your 189th postcard (out of 1000), Naomi!!! I would love to draw a bird to send to you in reply. Please could you let me know: what is your favourite bird, what kind of bird would you like me to draw for you?
- naomibulger@heleenartmail ooh that's so nice of you! (And wow you really know your Australian birds. Bower bird is the one you're thinking of. And look up lyre birds too - I think you'd like them!) I'd love some kind of Dutch bird - that would be super special x
- heleenartmailBower bird, yes I mean them :-) Amazing how they re-use our waste to build a wonderful bower. Lyre bird is nice too. Though the Kookaburra keeps on being on top, and the fairy wren, because of their turquoise colour (my favourite colour), that is, a glimpse in the wing, regarding the Kookaburra :-) I think I have a few drawings of Australian animals in my IG account, but that has been some time ago, so if interested to see, you have to scroll a lot... By the way, I love your drawings!
- sarandsusyLove your art 😍especially gouache on kraft paper 😍 👏🏻
Log in to like or comment.