tessleberriesI've just finished watching, "I, Daniel Blake". Real tears! My extended family has needed help from the state in the past (80's/90's) due to recession, illness etc. and it led to them being able to get better jobs. It's amazing what can happen when you invest in people and value them. Rather than cuts, cuts & more cuts literally cutting away people's self-respect and dignity. #idanielblake #socialjustice #austeritycutsdontwork #thesystemisbroken #treatpeopleashumans #valueeachperson
- jinglejully41OH MY GOODNESS.. how harrowing is this film? I watched it on Monday night and I too was in tears, there was points where I almost couldn't watch it as it was making my blood boil.. and all because it's soooo true! Shame on the system, works for all the wrong people, I did feel so moved by it that I had to find my local food bank to donate to yesterday.. every little helps 😥
- tessleberries@jinglejully41 It's heartbreaking. The story with the mum & kids could have been my mum, my sister & I but thankfully my Dad wasn't an absent father even though they were divorced. Thankfully he took his responsibility seriously & provided for myself & my sister, spent time with us, was there for us & loved us. And also, there was help from the state in the form of benefits &/or paid fees/student grants to help my mum get a good job. My Dad also was a mature student when he was made redundant. People had safety nets when needed and financial support to get them back into the workforce. So much of the support and safety nets have been taken away. Truly inhumane.
- christimesMy family was on State funds during the 80's as well after my dad was badly hurt at work. If it wasn't for the free lunches at school and aide in food, medical and heating my family would not have made it together...it's not a hand out but a hand UP! Help during the hardest of times. People who say hand outs should end & lazy people should get a job etc. have never lived through hard times not knowing when your next meal will be or if you will have heat during a long bitter winter!
- tessleberries@christimes In recent years I know and have worked with so many people who have had to deal with the totally unfair Bedroom Tax, benefit sanctions etc. People living in fear, not knowing how they will live for the next week(s). And yet bonuses in banks are still rising & the rich get richer. 😥
- christimes@tessleberries exactly...we got the 1% over here just getting richer and richer! The 'new' Trump health care package has a 30% punishment to those who can't afford the health care and let it lapse...so that means if they then can afford this spectacular Trump health care they are now paying 30% punish tax on top of paying for the health insurance when they sign back up!!! That's an awesome incentive for the poor NOT to sign up at all...back to the most vulnerable not having health care! Thanks Mr Trump that's a terrific fix to Obama care! Ugh!!!
- tessleberries@christimes That is so sad. Decent healthcare is a basic human right and as such should be inclusive, not exclusive. 😥 You probably know that Trump's UK state visit is potentially, mostly being moved to Scotland rather than London. The reason being given is that they think that the Scots (Scotch😂) are less likely to protest.😂😂😂It beggars belief! If he does come here, I'll definitely be protesting his ideologies and you can be certain I won't be alone.
- christimes@tessleberries I'll have your back with that protest sister! 👊🏻
Log in to like or comment.