bobmehr3One of the more notorious Replacements interviews came with a Sept. 1987 appearance in the bible of metal and hard rock shredding, Guitar World - then enjoying a huge circulation boom among teenage boys.
In an interview with the magazine, Paul Westerberg had some advice for the Ibanez and Charvel wielding readers. “Don’t buy those pointy guitars, kids,” warned Westerberg. “They’ll give ya VD.” Wise words still. #thereplacements #troubleboys #pointyguitars
- johnpaulkeithI read that at the time and I have always remembered it. It was the first time I'd heard of them. I was 12 and a big fan of pointy guitars.
- steveselvidgeI bought this issue when it hit the stands. At the Tobacco Corner on Union Ave
- dpolusPointy guitars...VD. Who knew? :-)
- memptAlso of note, (as I recall according to Jim) "you're the coolest guy that I ever have smelt" was an inside jab in reference to @lutherdickinson not having his studio etiquette quite down yet- he came to the session doused in some teenage cologne and choked everybody out in the confines of the control room! 🤢 ( and that damn electra phoenix would poke yer eye out)
- christophergarriThe 13-year-old son has to be Luther Dickinson, right?
Log in to like or comment.