rosarainbowsThis week at Breakspear, I've found out why I am so ill. My body has been fighting a chronic viral infection of HHV-6 human herpes virus 6 (This is not the same virus that causes cold sores!) HHV-6 is a virus that infects the brain and central nervous system and lymph nodes, which causes and is associated with serious disease, and although most of us carry it, the body usually is able to keep it dormant if the immune system works properly. In my body though, the virus has reactivated. I am also in the acute stage of "infectious mononucleosis" which means the virus that causes glandular fever (Epstein-Barr virus) is active and is continually replicating in my body. Again this virus usually lies dormant but it is active in me. I have been seriously sick with viral infections for the past two years (and yet was told to do graded exercise by the NHS..). These two viruses also trick the body into attacking itself (instead of attacking the viruses!) by a well studied process called molecular mimicry which is also part of why I've developed an autoimmune disease. There are treatments in the form of anti virals which can hopefully suppress the infection. They've also found a lot of other things at Breakspear that could be causing immune system problems including infections in my stomach, autoimmune reactions to gluten/wheat, food allergies and sensitivities, which I'll be getting treatment for. It is such a relief for me to find out a reason why I'm so ill.. to know these viral infections is why it feels like I'm fighting for my life and why my body cant deal with the slightest effort. Finally, I now feel like this is justice through all that suffering, and proof of how real M.E is. (This is me at Breakspear after allergy testing). So much relief and hope (and exhaustion) this week 💜
- rizzydudeBest wishes for a speed recovery Rosa
- rudolphhfThe worlds biggest relief to finally have some sort of explanation to why you have felt like you have... it was a massive weight off my shoulders in a strange way when I was diagnosed with this! Hope you feel a bit better day by day 💜
- predisposedto.blackclothesGo Rosa! Hoping I'll see you on Monday sweet pea. Stay strong lovely 💪💪💛💛
- jellylaserI'm so pleased for you Rosa. All my hugs and prayers and thoughts are with you and we're doing this together. ❤🌹❤
- ideacircus1965I hope that the doctors come up with an effective treatment plan for you to help you to get better. Lots of love, Gordon 😘
Log in to like or comment.