milkandhoneylivingWe just finished Black Beauty as an audio book read aloud and OH.MY.GOODNESS! It is phenomenal and I can tell you already it will definitely be one of our favorites of the year (not to mention the narration was flawless)! We loved every minute. Experiencing this story with my children completely exemplifies WHY we read fiction. During a scene when Beauty is separated from his friends I asked if they understood what was happening. Max responded, "Yeah, Mom, he's being taken away from his only friends and is going to be all alone. I kind of have this pain, it feels like I want to cry." THAT! That right there is the reason to share beautiful stories...to become lost in another person's perspective and illicit meaningful conversation, talking through concepts like empathy and sympathy, inner strength, good vs. evil, joy and triumph, care of creation, or being a hard worker and KIND MASTER. Brilliant fiction has a way of touching our souls and pointing us toward our Creator!
- tisunge602So great, Becca! How old were your boys when you started doing audiobooks? I've been wondering if Aaron is old enough. He's almost 3.5.
- heathermooreWe just finished Black Beauty last month and just loved it! I wasn't a reader growing up, so reading through these classics with my kiddo now is such a treasure.
- milkandhoneyliving#lifelivedbeautifully #christianmom #encouragementgallery #aquietstyle #inspiremyinstagram #seeksimplicity #intentionalliving #readaloudrevival #kidlit #childensliterature #kidsbookstagram #earlylearning #welovebooks #childrenslit #readtothem #readingisfundamental #raisingreaders #raiseareader #bookrecommendation #readaloud #homeschool #homeschooling #homeschoolmom #charlottemasonliving #chatlottemason #readersareleaders #allthebooks #readeveryday
- melissa_gammonSo it's a book and cd combo? You get this off Amazon? @milkandhoneyliving don't stop these posts I pretty much get all your suggestions 🙌
- milkandhoneyliving@tisunge602 Yes! He's totally old enough to get started. We did our first chapter book read alouds when they were probably 3.5/4 & 2...Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlottes Web, and Mr. Popper's Penguins! Those were read alouds at the dinner table and they LOVED them. Even if they don't get everything as we're reading, they get the jist of the story for sure. Also, it's fun to start with more story book compilation...I think our first audio book was The Complete Works of Beatrix Potter (lovely). But even now the babies listen along to anything their big brothers listen. I just go to that section and check out anything I think might be appealing and then I have no problem abandoning the book if I think it's too advanced or don't like something about it for them. Also, we listened to lots of Adventures in Odyssey (which they still love) and other Audio theater productions which are so fun!! Also, that's a fun way to introduce audio stories. I've also found just a couple picture book series in audio form and those were more productions (funny voices, music, etc.) but I bet Aaron would totally be ready to go for it!
- milkandhoneyliving@heathermoore I know! I never read it as a child and I feel the same way ❤❤❤
- milkandhoneyliving@melissa_gammon Awe! Thank you; I'm really glad it's helpful. And good question, to clarify, nope this is just an audio reading of the book on CD. Which we mostly listen to in the car. It's shocking how many books you can get in with 10-20 minute spurts. I get almost all of my audio books from the library...I wrote a comment above with some other suggestions, so I hope that helps! Let me know if it spurs other questions...of my favorite topics 😘
- moxiefamLove this book!!!
- sarajzimmermanAnnika's fave!
- jamiebellsmith7@milkandhoneyliving totally agree! Where do you get your audio books from and use them on? Like an app or an actual CD?
- jamiebellsmith7@milkandhoneyliving my kids loved Boxcar Children when we read it aloud!
- jamiebellsmith7@milkandhoneyliving oh duh should have looked at the pic better. Is there a certain library that has a better selection than others?
- wholeharteddreamersGreat book! Read this to my kids when they were younger and it remains one of my daughter's all time favorites. Read-a-loud time is a treasured time here. Even on hectic days when other things get thrown out the window, we do our best not to miss this time together, sharing beautiful stories with inspirational characters.
Log in to like or comment.