justteyI hated math when I was younger, and struggled with it. I never could see the point of all the complicated formulas, and it was only when I started learning statistics that math started to make sense. I realize I needed to see its usefulness and relevance to real life, before I could fully appreciate the subject.
The boys seem to quite enjoy math for now, since it's been simple thus far. However, we hit a rut with J1's learning because he was on the topic of multiplication, which often demands memorization and lots of drill and practice, with no attempt at making the topic relevant. 😅
I realize we couldn't just keep battering our heads at the topic this way, so I went to read up for ideas to help J1 see the relevance of multiplication. I found many resources online: #multiplicationcircles (both paper and yarn versions, see more in Stories), and #spirolaterals (google to find out more, or I can upload videos to explain, if there is enough interest).
We spent a happy hour just working through number sequences and drawing out patterns, and he's starting to see how multiplication is just an orderly way of recording number patterns. The visual learner in him couldn't wait to work out his #timestables, because he was curious about what spiral patterns the numbers would yield!
I am reminded today that we need to keep learning relevant, and that discovering things alongside with your child is always beautiful! 😊
#makingmumlearns #multiplication #mathisfun #homeschool #charlottemasonliving
- hpliewPls advise how this works.. Thanks a million
- playlexueYes please to videos to explain! 😍 Math was a "ugh tell me the fastest way to solve this & get it over with" subject when I was young. I want to be inspired and hopefully inspire my boy
- cikyati_lahYes please explain. Appreciate your help. I'm struggling to help my child understand and love Maths. Am looking out for more ways to let them enjoy Math.
- chiaochyiI've actually seen someone selling a plastic version of this before. Love the DIY!
- audreytan01Great timing as I am figuring out how to make my p3 boy memorize his 6,7 and 8 times table for his CA this week
- edlyngSo interesting! I need this for myself. And the kids, of course.
- oopsiebabeAww sweet
- lifeisforexploringI'd love to find out more!
- caroltihLove to find out more for my kids too! 😊
- momlycoddledLoving this!!
- vivianlowalGood to find resources to help kids understand multiplication as memorizing it is not the right way and it's a very easy way to make kids hate maths ..
- mameemusingsI was just telling hubs that we need to find resources to make math fun. I have no worries for my girl's language but math...😱 Trying to undo (1+1 = 11) in her mind! 😅😅
- justtey@hpliew @playlexue @cikyati_lah @edlyng @lifeisforexploring @caroltih @mameemusings I posted the link for spirolaterals in the next pic! Haven't been able to do a vid to explain as I'm terrible at making vids! I hope to share more math activities as we go along!
- justtey@chiaochyi oh cool! I know some use a wooden board, but that involves hammering!
- justtey@audreytan01 I hope it was handy! It doesn't help wrt memorizing but it does make the times table more fun.
- justtey@momlycoddled thx! It was fun!
Log in to like or comment.