anyasilverpoetIt's #nationalpoetryday!!! Unfortunately, it's also the anniversary of my late term miscarriage, so in honor of both, this is the poem that I wrote about it from my first book. Many women still find it difficult to admit to how difficult #miscarriage is. The sculpture is from Slovakia. I promise my next poems will be happier!
"Late Wake for a Lost Child"
You had no body at which I could set candles.
I was hollow as a jack-o'-lantern, my insides scraped and flushed.
I'm planning your wake now, after you've been gone for half a year,
because on the radio, I heard the last guitar work of a murdered man,
his voice still living though his bones have disappeared,
because a girl riding past me on a bicycle caught the wind
In her blouse, which billowed out to hold the invisible.
I'll invite to your wake the unbroken ball of dandelion spores,
the clock's face gleaming 11:11, whatever else I wish upon.
As scenery, October's extravagant buckling, its blazonry of loss.
But how will I recognize you?
The gaps in the maple, the light startled to find such spaces." (2003)
- anyasilverpoet@dreamama Thank you so much. It is so horrible and still too hush hush.
- anyasilverpoet@ihadamiscarriage And I am very sorry for your loss.
- winters.daughterSimply beautiful ♡♡
- friederikeablangMuch love to you.
- ballytilda23Exquisite writing of deep loss
- twiningartsMuch gentle hearted love
- talisman_creativeI am so deeply saddened and also so in awe of your courage, honesty and artistry.
- onbradstreetfarmI'm so sorry, Anya.
- shireenkathrynI firmly believe you will meet your child one day....perhaps Heavens Gates...
- jennfer68Sending much love and support 💜💕
- anjali.enjetiSo beautiful! Much love to you!!!
- maryiagnemmaThis is heartbreaking, but also so hopeful. Much love to you.
- thriveanywayHugs. And more hugs.
- sarahkokenutThis is devastatingly beautiful, Anya. This is why poetry.
- anyasilverpoet@sarahkokenut 💖
- cameronlawrence❤️ Just gorgeous.
- hcmetzBeautiful. Making me cry on the bus. Eesh. Thank you for sharing 💙
- anyasilverpoet@hcmetz 💖💖💖
- gina.awakeOh my Anya! Thankyou so much for this, and the beauty and hope in it. So often hidden and so often unspoken is this loss, which makes what you write even more exquisite. 💜💖🙏🏽
Log in to like or comment.