annamcnuff‘It’s going to go out, it’s going to go out, it’s going to…Oh bugger It’s gone out.’ I slouch backwards and sigh.
‘Owwww. I REALLY fancied mashed potato tonight’ says Faye, sitting back and staring at the now redundant camping stove.
We could just eat cheese and crackers?’ I proffer. Faye’s face tells me all I need to know about what she thinks of that idea. ‘How about a fire? We could probably do a fire..?’ I suggest.
Yes!’ Faye shouts, immediately leaping to her feet to collect firewood from the surrounding area. Although a fire tonight seems a wonderful idea, we know that in even attempting it we are taking on a huge challenge. It rained heavily last night, and so much of the potential firewood is just too damp for the pile. Still, girls’ gotta eat, and so we set about gathering up wood of all shapes and sizes to begin our attempt.
After constructing the usual woody wigwam, to make sure we allow oxygen to the flames, we make three attempts at starting the fire, but to no avail. On each attempt, where we would like there to be an abundance of bright orange flames, we instead fined plumes of black smoke - which is carried onto the breeze into our eyes, leaving us with tears streaming down our face, and our hair infused with smoke.
By this point it is 9pm. We have been up since 6am, ridden 10km to catch a ferry, taken a 7 hour glacier tour (I nearly vommed), cycled a further 15km uphill to cross the Chilean border and we are just a little bit exhausted. Perhaps it is time to accept defeat.
'I have a tampon!’ I shout suddenly.
'You have a what?!’ Faye asks, seemingly confused by my sanitary confession.
'A tampon. Let’s dunk the tampon in the petrol and use that as a firelighter?’
'You, Mcnuff are a genius!!’
And so two tampons, a lot of smoke, and some careful fire tending later, Faye and I at last manage to boil some water. We pour it over our potato flakes at 9.30pm, gleefully mixing in the cheese and sausages before spooning into our pie holes and grinning at one another.
Faye and Anna 1, Nature: zero.
#exploremore #letsgosomewhere #passionpassport #wildlifeplanet #wildernessculture #ventureout #bushcraft #nevergive up
- miss_kccHa, great thinking! Nothing beats a fire on a damp day.
- apriljoyburrowHaha that's amazing!!! 😂 love reading all your stories! 💕
- mediatrixyA tampon works every time ;)
- namgrub_werdnaHa ha .. Annamcnuff.. really enjoyed your post , great picture.. thank you for making us Laugh :)
- annamcnuff#getoutdoors #getwild #getoutside #stayandwander #staywild #travelblogger #travelstoke #travelgram #chile #chileinsta
- unchartedsupplycoThis is too good!
- willisbushcraftWell done, determination and bloody mindedness win the day. And for next time, if you have a knife, perhaps split the damp wood to (maybe) reveal the dry stuff inside, use some vaseline (you must have some) with the tampon! Loving the stories
- ian_homerLol 😆 Time to educate people that tinder isn't a just a pick-up app! Of course tampons are largely just cotton fibre or Rayon (synthetic cellulose) or mixture. Perfect!
- aidansasiaWonderful story, it really brings that photo to life
- aidansasiaIf you have any spare inner tube - a little bit of that is a great thing to get a fire going - not exactly environmentally friendly but needs must.
- neverstopspinningResourceful! 👍
- polar.stephIf it's good enough for Kate Winslet and @beargrylls it's good enough for you McNuff! I think they used lip balm in that episode 😉
- boats.and.bikesTotally freakin' awesome!! 💪🙌
- xan2uHahaha, another great story. Really ads something to the photo. Keep them comming!
- lexiecarbonelove your feed ✨
- the_wholesome_athleteCannot get enough of you two. I just wish I had my very own Faye.
- airheadsNice pics! follow us if you like the feed. Many cool things launching soon. ⚡️⚡️
- shotsbyschoellerYou have a lot of great post!
- brazenbackpackerLove the little color pops in this!!
Log in to like or comment.