rebeccagibney_This is a happy snap of my sister Stella and me when we were kids. No one would know that we were being raised in a family of domestic violence. Last night on the Sunday program fellow actor Melissa George talked about being attacked by her former partner. I am currently in NZ and didn't watch the program but have been really disturbed by the reports of the online response to Melissa's interview. That somehow she deserved what happened to her. As a victim of domestic violence myself - I grew up in a household where violence toward our mother was a common occurrence - I am appalled that anyone can accuse a woman of ' asking' to be beaten. Domestic violence is wrong - violence in any form is wrong. Please let us remember how difficult it is for anyone that has been in this situation to speak out. Regardless of how you may perceive someone in the public eye please remember they are as human as the rest of us and deserve as much compassion as the next person. And for anyone in a similar situation there is always someone who will listen. And you can get through it. My mother and my family is a testament to that. Just reach out. #love #peace #pleasetalkaboutit #domesticviolenceiswrong @melissageorgeofficial
- rebeccagibney_@marnzbell I feel so incredibly sad about this situation and can't imagine how difficult it must be for Melissa and her family. Please know there is a lot of support out there for you all and please also pass on our love and support to Melissa. 🙏🏻✨❤️
- _hayley_aBeautifully put Bec xx
- flosrussellsI saw this on Melissa George, my heart went out to her, no woman deserves to have been abused by any man! So sorry to hear about you Rebecca, but look how strong a woman you have become! Stay strong woman who are being abused , we care about you! ❤️💖
- hazellshands@rebeccagibney_ yes it is still so very hard to speak up about domestic violence because of shame and repercussion so thank you so very much for sharing a part of your life that takes courage to do so and encourages others to speak out too. #notoviolence
- lawtonvirginiaThanks Rebecca @rebeccagibney_ I also wrote some supportive comments for Melissa on a number of sites, including all my social media and my website http://lawtonvirginia.wixsite.com/mysite Virginia Lawton Actress and Psychic Medium
- shellyjay_30Family domestic violence is something that stays with you for your whole life I feel sorry for Melissa and her boys and the struggles that she will still have to go through Having seen this in my young years I know all to well how much it will affect her kids even if they are young much love for you showing your support Rebecca and sharing your story
- karenbrittenxo@rebeccagibney_ I too have been incredibly appalled at people's treatment and judgement of Melissa George. Regardless of whether she has made some foot in mouth mistakes in the past (haven't we all?), she is an Australian woman, a Mother who is in an unimaginably difficult position right now. She has been abused, she is unable to take her children out of France. Imagine if it were you or someone you love. I hope Melissa gets the love and support she needs at this difficult time. I have no time for anyone who uses violence against women or anyone for that matter.
- anniemcccWell said @rebeccagibney_ only those who have experienced domestic violence can understand. Shocks me the amount of nasty people are in this county . I hope and pray for a good out come for Melissa
- salenavh78Takes a lot of courage to speak out ❤️
- fijayhWell said!
- wingus2Didnt see the programm but how sare anyone ssy she deserved w
- kristybrooks_Thank you for writing this xxx
- karendavI knew Melissa a long time ago ... I am so saddened and horrified not only by what has happened but what people project and have been saying ...NO women ever deserves to be hit ... ever ... I have just finished working on a doco for ABC called cyber hate ... I am disgusted by trolls and the hate people carry in their hearts towards other people ... I wish only love to Melissa and hope this nightmare ends soon .
- ralli_80Well said. 💜
- giveandtakessWe support women everyday. Would like Melissa to know that we care for her and her family. Being there for her and knowing that she has friends who love and care for her is so important. Melissa must be feeling very alone. Reach out to her as often as you can. Thank you Rebecca for sharing and supporting. You have been through a lot to.
- giveandtakessSending you much love
- sonic2509Domestic violence is so devastating. I am a victim and it still affects me today even though we divorced in 08. I'm hopeful for my future. Prayers for all suffering through this.
- artemisinteriors@rebeccagibney_ well said 🙌🏼 I saw the interview & was vaguely aware of some reports that Melissa was "acting"!! What ?!? Melissa was brave & composed relaying her story. The fact that somehow that gets interpreted as an act is beyond me. The media/the public made cruel assumptions about Lindy Chamberlain because she appeared being brave & composed. Dammed if you do dammed if you don't. Women must unite & help each other, teach our sons that abuse, verbal & physical violence is NEVER asked for or accepted. Thank you Belinda for speaking out about your experience too 🙌🏼👏🏼💐
Log in to like or comment.