laurasmessIn keeping with #mondayfeels, here's a #latergram of my recent #meringue attempt, prior to putting it in the crematorium (aka my new fandangled fan-forced oven). In the past two weeks I've managed to burn broccoli, dehydrate oven chips and create puddle-centred, dry-crusted pavlova. I'm gradually adjusting my methods but I never thought I'd mourn the loss of my old, poorly sealed gas oven!!! Fan-forced cooks, please give me alllll of the advice x
- chky_celCan you switch off the fan? My old oven I would turn down the temp by 10degs and leave it in shorter period. And also use an oven thermometer.
- spark_le17Ha - made me smile - I always use traditional setting on my 'super duper' fandangled oven - fan saved for fast cool down and cleaning mode! #oldschool
- laurasmess@chky_cel the thermometer is a great idea, thanks! I am certain that it's hotter than the set temp. I did try reducing the heat and setting to bake. No luck yet but it's early days I guess.
- laurasmess@saritaleal86 argh argh my first pav fail (for my husband's birthday cake no less!!!! #wifefail 🙈🙈🙈😂)
- kara_dt10 degrees less and shorter times.....It eventually settles down (like 5 yrs later hahaha)
- laurasmess@kara_dt oh seriously?!! How annoying. I guess I'll get the hang of it eventually (and then it'll prob 'settle down'!! 😂) x
- ourlittleflowerfarmArgh I feel you our is so hot!!
- jetpepperHa! For fan ovens in the UK we are told to do 20 degrees lower! I hope it stops cremating everything soon!xx
- nita8220 degrees under and check it sooner than recommended cooking time
- laurasmess@ourlittleflowerfarm aw no, sorry (but also nice to know) I'm not the only one! 🙈
- laurasmess@jetpepper @nita82 ok I'm gonna do 20 degrees under and go from there. Thanks lovelies xx 😘
- arunaguhanI set the timer about ten mins sooner than the recommended cooking time and that's normally just right x
- cerebral_eI usually do same temp, shorter cooking time.
- girlsafternoonteaAnother vote for 20C under. Cakes & biscuits at 160C and generally shorter than the recipe times. We have a pyrolytic oven so super well insulated!
- laurasmess@arunaguhan oh thanks lovely! Good to know, I'll add it to the list! x
- laurasmess@girlsafternoontea thanks lovely! Ok that's enough evidence for me, I'll try 20 under 👌🏻
- laurasmess@cerebral_e thanks lovely! Hm, I'll have to experiment a bit and keep notes xx
Log in to like or comment.