jennifermeleAnother area of the studio is falling into place. It's so inviting in here! Did some painting today but felt disconnected from the process. I was attached to something in my mind which always makes the fingers heavier. Definitely think there was an attachment to an outcome like "making something pretty" and an expectation like..."with a new space and all this time and energy put into it I better do something good!" I even had the thought yesterday that I was never going to do art again. I have to smile about that now but it's also really amazing how far into protection mode the mind will go when we are stretching into new territory. Share your experiences below if you can relate to fears, stuckness and expectations creeping in when you are opening up to a new phase🙏🏼👋🏼👇🏼
- nikki_biffinartWe've worked on that a lot this week. Be kind to yourself 💕
- firstname.lastname@example.org I love that you can view the fears as exciting! I look forward to developing enough awareness of this process so I can open up to that as well😊 thanks for the reminder!
- jennifermele@samyakyamauchi ahhh thank you for sharing. It helps to hear that. I notice I've been judging that thought "I don't know what to do" and catastrophizing it. I'm going to try just noticing it as it is
- jennifermele@littlereddogdesignslrd so exciting to have pieces for commission! I find that when I have been asked to do a commission or I think about creating a piece in order to sell it or share it somewhere I feel a lot more pressure myself! It's a fine balance to discover.
- jennifermele@liseloensmannart yayy I'm not alone!!
- jennifermele@nikki_biffinart wonderful to hear I'm in the company and same lesson with you all across the continent!!
- lilliancrichardsSo relate. Have you read the book, Your Inner Critic is a Big Jerk by Krysa? I found it really helpful and inspiring.
- shaneywattersart@lilliancrichards I just finished that book! @jennifermele I can relate, but have found fear a little quieter lately... I think it's because I'm making more time for art. Now my harsh voice is about keeping up with the business side of art. 😆
- jennifermele@lilliancrichards I have not read it yet but @shaneywattersart has suggested it!! I'm going to pick it up myself. I also suggest Cheri Hubers "there is nothing wrong with you" and I'm reading her book "how to get from where you are to where you want to be". Both amazing and both all about compassion, acceptance and the inner critic
- jennifermele@shaneywattersart hehe it always finds a way in doesn't it? I find that as I continuously share and out the voice it dissolves away. I ended up having a productive evening of art making and really enjoyed it tonight. I think for me it is realizing that the first few layers I don't have to like in that's okay. They aren't all (most) going to be those one hit wonders!!
- dianacoulter_I've been so disconnected from creating that I took apart my desk and redid it. Talk about being in a seriously creative funk. I literally just wrote a post about this! Good luck girl, I hope you can recover soon 💕
- lilliancrichards@jennifermele thanks for suggestion! Will get!!!
- liseloensmannart@shaneywattersart I can so relate to this, Shaney 💚
- laurencedevalmyTotally relate ! I believe doubt is part of the process. Just read letters of Claude Monet : he was very often doubting.... but also conscious of his value as a painter ! I guess we all go from moments when we think we created something amazing to other when we think it's ... not so amazing ;-) Thanks for sharing
- beachstaabI think we all go through this, sweet friend!! Hang tight! This too shall pass!! Your space is beautiful, and the juices are bound to flow again soon!!
- benedictolorunnisomoJust "being" is a calling, bearing one's name is a calling likewise being an artist. Sometimes it's faint sometimes it's not even heard, there are seasons to experience. I learn to focus on the goal this tends to reveal that some feelings are just like spoiled kids 😄. The goals will come to pass with patience and focus while the "spoiled kids" always leave. Greetings @jennifermele 🙋
- jennifermele@laurencedevalmy thank YOU for sharing. So helpful to hear we are all on this journey together🙏🏼 love the monet anecdote!
- jennifermele@beachstaab yesss i am quite the impatient one! By the evening I was flowing yet again😂😂😂
- jennifermele@benedictolorunnisomo absolutely love this metaphor!! So beautiful and healing. Thank you🙏🏼💖
Log in to like or comment.