we3travelIt could be easy to walk past the Holocaust memorial in Vienna without thinking twice about what it is. It is a quiet and unobtrusive memorial. Yetit was one of the most moving stops on our Jewish Vienna tour today with @contexttravel travel. Before 1938, over 170,000 Jews lived in Vienna. After 1945, only about 5,000 were still alive to return. The memorial, which looks like a library with the spines of books turned in, represents all those stories that not only didn't have a chance to be told, but lives that didn't have the opportunity to be lived. What would those victims gone on to create, invent, do? We can't even read the titles because you would need to go inside the library, but symbolically there are no handles on the doors. Those stories are lost but the people aren't forgotten. #deeptravel #contexttravel #hosted #jewishhistory #vienna #familytravel
- lunaticatlargeUgh, holocaust "tourism" if you will is so disturbing, yet so crucial for everyone to fully understand.
- explorewitherinPowerful. The one in Jerusalem was just heart breaking
- lifeinpleasantvilleOooof. That is so heartbreaking to read. Thank you for sharing the meaning behind the monument.
- bring_the_kidsThat's powerful!
- we3travel@lunaticatlarge yes, we were talking about that today. We visit some countries and want to learn about the Jewish history and many places it is like "this is where Jews used to be but everything was destroyed..." with so many current parallels it is important not to forget
- we3travel@susanpazera when you hear the numbers like that it really drives it home
- travelwiththegreensVery unobtrusive
- we3travel@andi_fisher @global_munchkins they are so knowledgeable-- unlike some where you wonder if they are just making stuff up
- rwethereyetmomWow. Thank you for telling us the story of this memorial. Powerful.
- crazyfamilyadventureSuch a sad time in history.
- shannonentinNever forgotten. Must be quite an emotional place to experience.
- worldisabookWow! What a beautiful and powerful memorial!
- viaggiatoriBeautiful memorial
- casualtravelistit's important that we keep telling the story of the atrocities that took place in Europe
- katespillerLove learning the story behind this amazing memorial! Thanks so much for all your insights.
- ourfamilytraveladventuresWhat a beautiful memorial. Thanks so sharing.
- dcwithkid😢 an important spot
- thehfamilyadventuresWow, that is an amazing memorial. So true...so sad...
- stuffedsuitcaseWhat an intense design and very thought-provoking
- walkingontravelsOh wow. What a hauntingly beautiful way to remember those lost to us.
Log in to like or comment.