tojesussincerelyMy Mass takeaway: In the Gospel today, Jesus makes an outrageous request of the woman at the well: “Can I have a drink of water, please?” Honestly, I don’t understand why that’s such a big deal, something to do with longstanding racial discrimination that Bible scholars would be way more knowledgeable about than I am.… but anyways, it’s outrageous.
And the woman protests: “How can you ask this of me?” Even though Jesus seems to be asking much from this Samaritan woman, what He’s really doing is offering her an incredible gift. He’s offering her the living water, divine grace. He’s offering the gift of faith, love, the promise of eternal life. It’s just disguised as a request.
How often to I rail against God for the things He asks of me… How could you require this sacrifice? How could you ask for this pain, this suffering of me? How can you ask me to carry this cross? To give up that sin? Like the woman at the well, I sometimes feel that Jesus is asking something I can’t give. I feel that He’s too demanding.
And I fail to see that He’s not asking, He’s giving. Jesus is offering me the gift of faith. The gift of His love, and the gift of increasing my own charity in return. He’s offering me all the graces I need to obtain eternal life with Him.
And my acceptance of that gift, my acceptance of His love poured out and loving Him in return, is the drink of water that quenches His thirst. He thirsts for me. For my love. That’s all He asks of me. Everything else is a gift.
#tojesussincerely #myMasstakeaway #mysundaybest #everythingisagift #thewomanatthewell @rosiehill425
- tojesussincerelyAyundddd peekaboo! Princess is in a good mood and wanted to smile for the picture!
- rosiehill425Nailed. It. (And I love the pattern on that skirt, but I always really look forward to reading your reflections!!)
- beautifulcamouflagedmessSuch a great reflection! And, so very true - how often do we bristle when it comes to His desires? And yet, as our chaplain pointed out today, God doesn't tire as He waits for us. Puts things in perspective! And, super cute skirt, and smile from your princess!
- tojesussincerelyThanks @rosiehill425 and @beautifulcamouflagedmess ps Anni I always love how you expand with your comments! It's so great to trade spiritual thoughts! love it <3
- beautifulcamouflagedmess@tojesussincerely I'm glad you enjoy it... I enjoy it, too! 😁
Log in to like or comment.