tanisknitsOk hive mind, I need advice! This lovely shawl designed by @judymarplesdesigns has been sitting almost finished for a year in my office. I ran out of the hand dyed yarn and getting more is not an option because of dye lots. Do I bind it off and call it a day? Do I grab some highly contrasting yarn (maybe carribean blue?) to finish the lace border that goes along the top and left edge? Does that look too "I ran out of yarn and am pretending that's a design choice by switching up the edging color?" Thoughts? #knittersofinstagram #laceshawl #leesideshawl #finishallthewips
- ferber13I always like a different colored border 😉
- ferber13I'd love a black or grey border :)
- texasjillkPerhaps finishing in one of the new speckles yarns or working in some gradients?
- duckysgreatadventureNeutral edging. Like charcoal or silver grey etc.
- sallyhpCan you find a close match in a gradient, frog ha j a couple inches and fade?
- sallyhpBack not ha j ;)
- cringerloveswinePerhaps tink back a few inches, switch to stripes in a contrasting color for the lace, and save the red yarn for the entire cable border section.
- knitpurlgolfgirlHow much do you love the intended lace border? I think it looks very nice as is, and will block plenty large enough. But if you love the lace, then just add color of your choice -- it'll be your design spin on it and no one (well no one who doesn't follow you... 😂) will ever know!
- sheldon_brungardI say finish it with another color, and you can always add a round of the color to the other 2 edges after if it needs it to feel finished. Worst case, you don't like it and you can rip the new color out.
- cookinthebooksI absolutely love what Gucci is doing with pink and red!!
- minimoebiusI would knit the lace border with a different color but not necessarily highly contrasting. Something that will create more of a gradient effect but different enough that no one thinks you didn't match dyelots.
- tanisknitsGradients won't work because the border makes an "L" shape around the triangle. Hmmm. Thanks, hive mind! Need to think about it more!
- judymarplesdesignsOh, I hate when this happens, I feel your pain ❤ You could tink back a few rows, enough to work 1 garter ridge and then a picot bind off?
- buystoomuchyarnBlack maybe?
Log in to like or comment.