valmariepaperDid y'all know this was in the Bible? It's a very simple/practical reason we may feel like our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling and never reaching the ear of God.
It feels funny that my love for others can so easily affect my own life and I always get squirmy with posts like this because they feel legalistic. I first read this in Bill Hybel's book Too Busy to Pray and wanted him to be wrong but it's here in black and white.
So here's a bold question:
Do you care about the poor? Yes or no.
If yes, is it perhaps that it's just been too easy to focus on your own needs? The reality is you care about the poor, you just forget about them.
Your challenge: Pray the Lord would open your eyes to the needs around you. Ask Him to minimize the molehills you make into mountains (just me? 🙋🏻) and maybe we should just be bold and use the word - selfish. Lord help us to not be selfish. I hate that word and hate admitting that I'm selfish but until I admit it, I just dance around it. Pray for opportunities to serve. (I shared a bit about this and our Fresh Hope journal on Facebook Live yesterday). If no, if you really don't care about the poor. First off, this was me years ago. Don't feel ashamed to admit it to yourself. I did not see the humanity of others. It was like watching a movie. I didn't think about what others experienced as real. And because of that, I never FELT anything when I would see videos or commercials about giving opportunities. It felt too far off to feel anything.
Your challenge: Ask God to fill you with compassion. Ask Him to give you a burden for a specific cause. Ask Him to show you how valuable you could be to change someone's life.
And for all of us, do something this week. Physically show God that you are intentional about opening your ears to the poor. Give money, time, prayer for some people group around the world.
This isn't a checklist. I wanted to share some practical tips but still, I can't say if you follow this to the letter God will suddenly open the floodgates on your prayers. God is still God and still knows better than me. But I do know I don't want to put obstacles in the path of our communication.
#madeformore #livefullyalive #shereadstruth #lampandlight #savoryourseason #wellwateredwomen #lifelivedbeautifully #ifequip #encouragementgallery #agodlylady #proverbs31ministries #graceupongrace #itiswell #soulscripts #givemejesus #goodnewsfeed #bedeeplyrooted #womenoftheword #womenintheworld #gritandvirtue #shesharestruth #propelwomen #coffeeandjesus #intheword #goodmorninggirls #choosejoy #yourinfluence #prayerjournal #valintheword
- valmariepaperThe passage is proverbs 21:13!
- elyse.serranoLove love love!!
- aprilemery@valmariepaper Have you heard of Trades of Hope? Oh it's fabulous! I'm actually a Compassionate Entrepreneur with them. We partner with the marginalized all over the world, equip them with tools to make a better life for themselves and then sell what they make for them here in the US. We are part of the Fair Trade Federation, and that organization holds us accountable to fair trade standards. You should check it out! I have a link in my profile. Message me if you want to know more. I could share so many stories (and videos) of how we are helping eliminate poverty. 😍
- valmariepaper@aprilemery I haven't but I'll have to check that out! That sounds amazing!
- handstoworkOften I think we're so afraid of being legalistic, that commands are overlooked. Thanks for the reminder!!!
- valmariepaper@handstowork so true! I'm always worried I don't word it well enough to be interpreted right. Thanks for the encouragement!
- workingmomsforhimThis is such a great reminder and motivator. There are so many things we can do to serve and I will be praying about this today for myself and my family. Thanks for being so open and honest about something that most people don't want to talk about.
- thefaithfeastGirlllll yesss!!! Your transparency is everything!!!! I love this!!!
Log in to like or comment.