bakingfiction"One day - it was in March, 1883 - a letter with a foreign stamp lay upon the table in front of the Colonel's plate... Opening it hurriedly, out there jumped five little dried orange pips, which pattered down upon his plate. I began to laugh at this, but the laugh was struck from my lips at the sight of his face...
'What is it, uncle?' I cried. 'Death,' said he."
The Adventure of the Five Orange Pips
Arthur Conan Doyle
I make this cake every year.
It started life as @aoifemcelwain's - made after arriving back in London, in the dark days of January, after her glorious Dublin wedding.
Last year, I made it for @ahalfbakedidea, here in the kitchen, at the very beginning of our then new friendship.
Today, I took it to @headofzeus, my publisher, where it was demolished by everyone in the office while my editor and I were at lunch.
It's a bright, beautiful cake, utilising the best of February's fruit: the blood orange. It's dense, and rich, and sweet, and absolutely perfect for cold winter days.
Recipe on the blog - search for Sherlock Holmes or blood orange!
- bakingfiction#beautifulcuisines #myopenkitchen #onthetable #inspiremyinstagram #theartofslowliving #foodstories #foodstagram #food #foodie #huffposttaste #eattheworld #foodstyling #foodnetwork #foodandwine #feedfeed #yahoofood #buzzfeedfood #f52grams #gatheringslikethese #winter #foodphotography #igfood #homemade #recipe #foodwinewomen #thekitchn #cake #baking #bloodorange #seasonal
- aoifemcelwainGosh I'd almost forgotten about this cake. Thanks for the reminder, I must make it this blood orange season 🍊
- uccellina03Absolutely adore this post. From the cake to the photo to the caption. Perfection.
- charlietonnerI love that story so much.
- bibliocookFab wedding, that @aoifemcelwain 💃
- minxmarpleI love this cake so much- I made it last year 💗
- catebutlerThis sounds delicious! Will definitely take a look at the recipe!!
- bitemevancouverGreat stuff!
- bakingfictionIt's a corker of a cake @aoifemcelwain - a real favourite. X
- bakingfictionThank you so much @uccellina03. How lovely of you!
- bakingfictionMe too @charlietonner!! One of the best.
- bakingfictionWasn't it @bibliocook?! One of the best I've been to.
- bakingfictionOh I'm so happy you did @minxmarple - it's a treat! Never made it with regular oranges (though it would definitely work). It seems like it needs to be the blood oranges. X
- bakingfictionWould love to know if you give it a go @catebutler!
Log in to like or comment.