tia_silvercocoon"Soak it in. You've worked hard for this" .... I'll admit, after the initial surge of excited adrenaline, I felt lucky to have been awarded a MN State Arts Board Grant. With a budget deficit in the Arts and Heritage Legacy Fund this year it was uncertain how the grant awards would be affected, and let's face it - we ARE lucky to be artists in MN! It took the words of a dear and respected friend (and viewing my application evaluation/score) to help me to stop and also feel some ownership of this amazing moment. Damn right I've worked hard for this. It might seem lucky, or look easy - it might even be easy for me to overlook the continuous years of struggling, digging and stretching because they are just simply part of me. But after hearing her words, I stopped long enough to feel, in every cell of my body, the effort that has brought me to this point in time. It's been over 20 years since being voted "most likely to become a professional artist" by my senior class in high school, and since studying art & discovering weaving as an exchange student in Finland the year after graduation; Over 15 years since finishing architecture school and starting Silvercocoon with my husband; And, this is my 10th year of making my collection of laser-cut jewelry... while maintaining a marriage in love & work, and raising two boys ... and barely surviving the recession. I have struggled to find balance, often pushing myself to exhaustion. I've explored different ways to grow this thing into a business, all of them 100% self-funded on hard work & dreams and the sheer will to make something out of nothing. Through it all my artistic voice has grown. 2016 brought a return to weaving, a rekindling of my creative spirit, and a burning desire to explore new skills, materials, and expressions. And now in 2017, as I am learning what it means to mature as an artist, THIS GRANT AWARD feels like an outstretched hand to help me step up to the next level. It is that significant. It is that simple. I've worked hard for this!! And I am proud and grateful beyond belief. #tiakeo Photo circa 2006 #readytoworksomemore
- bmcdaltGet it!!! 💕💕💕
- myhyggeligSuper awesome and inspiring! You go girl!
- tia_silvercocoon@lizbastian !!♡!!
- tia_silvercocoon@_dagmag_ thank you!
- tia_silvercocoon@kelseyjonescasey Thank you!!
- tia_silvercocoon@zoesnowy__ Thanks, dear!
- tia_silvercocoon@bmcdalt My wise and respected friend, so many thank yous to you!
- tia_silvercocoon@myhyggelig Thank you so much!
- aeastvoldYay @tia_silvercocoon !!!! I just ran across this quote yesterday, and scribbled it down, and here it is; perfect for you! "Spectacular achievement is ALWAYS preceded by unspectacular preparation". Soak it in indeed! (Psst, whatcha gonna do?!) 🤷🏻♀️
- aeastvoldMost likely to become a professional artist?!? Come on! Of course!
- tia_silvercocoon@aeastvold thank you for sharing that quote. I know you know ♡ :)
- tia_silvercocoon@aeastvold (and ... I was so thrilled to have been voted something, that the sentiment of the vote itself took a little while to sink in - hahaha!)
- timberlinejewelry"Making something out of nothing" 👌🏻It's a life, isn't it? Big congratulations to you! ❤
- aeastvoldI'm still waiting on the achievement part. 😭
- tia_silvercocoon@aeastvold Acheivement is like success .... endless definitions and ways to measure. You have achieved so much from where I stand looking at you. ♡♡♡
- tia_silvercocoon@timberlinejewelry Ha, yes ... it's a life!! Thank you!! ♡
- redheadmidgeSO well deserved Tia. Happy for you and ALL your achievements!!
- tia_silvercocoon@redheadmidge Thankyou, Margaux. So happy to have met you right off the bat!
- robin2236Tia you are such a beautiful wind of the most pure air....thanks for sharing it brings good thoughts into your friends minds too💕
Log in to like or comment.