sotherans_piccadilly"The fairies have their tiffs with the birds" - one of 50 fine plates by Arthur Rackham in this first edition of "Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens", 1906.
Peter Pan has the most complicated publishing history of all the major children's classics. The story takes various forms over the years as Barrie adapted the germ of the story about the young boy Peter who refused to grow up. His first appearance was in Barrie's novel "The Little White Bird" (1902). This idea was coaxed out into the play of Peter Pan, which was first performed in the theatre in 1904, although the play in book form did not appear until 1928.
Here, in 1906, Arthur Rackham illustrated the story in a different and darker reworking. The version which most people know, from the later Disney adaptation for example, is Barrie's "The Story of Peter and Wendy" which was issued in 1911 with beautiful monochrome plates after pencil drawings by F.D. Bedford. #fairies #arthurrackham
- sotherans_piccadilly#books #book #bookstagram #instabooks #bookshop #bookstore #london #bookish #guardianbooks #bookporn #bookworm #bibliophile #antiquarianbooks #firstedition #bookstagrammers #vintage #rare #antiquarian #peterpan #oldbooks #oldbook #jmbarrie #rackham #illustration #childrensbooks #childrensbook
- coseikawaLike it!
- the_silver_locketLove Rackham, ever since I was a little girl when I had a copy of his Aesop's fables ❤️
- sotherans_piccadillyHe was such a talent @the _silver_locket One of my favourites is Undine by de la Motte Fouqué.
- maggsbrosOne of our favourites.
- shelagh_e_wilsonAs a child in the 1950's, I adored these illustrations and used to try to copy them. I'm sure they were part of the seed which led to my love of books and reading.
Log in to like or comment.