theworldofinteriorsWomen pruning pears in the walled gardens at the Women’s Horticultural College, 1943, Waterperry House, Oxfordshire, Captured by Cecil Beaton. Waterperry House and gardens is a 17th century house with extensive gardens that housed the Waterperry school of Horticulture, a horticultural college for women.
The school was founded in 1932, the main figure at the helm was the formidable Beatrix Havergal. The girls at the school were expected to wear a uniform which has proved to be a source of inspiration for the uniform worn by the @thelandgardeners .
The Land Gardener's headquarters, Wardington Manor, in Oxfordshire , features in our March issue. #theworldofinteriors #horticulture #waterperrygardens #englishgardens #cecilbeaton #greenfingers #gardening #uniforms #original #iconic #marchissue #flowers #gardens
- sosummy@ehhawkins reminds me of your wall 🍐🍐
- petra__hmLovely photo. Feel privileged to have stood exactly there too pruning those same trees 3yrs ago on RHS course... #waterperry #RHS
- soanebritainMarvellous photo
- winserandhillcurtainsLove their dungarees!
- dkinteriors_interieursudNice old photo!
- hennytateFancy a trip to these gardens @marianabyng? You may have already been but I've always wanted to go ..... 💚
- msmerton@alisonfrae can't see you or Wendy! X
- christopherptflemingThose walled gardens go back to the medieval days...the walls held onto enough heat to assist the trees to keep producing fruit into the winter...as I recall reading about this design... why we don't do this today is a good question.
- marianabyng@hennytate yes please, I'm there!
- miami.visionPears up against a wall?
Log in to like or comment.