shannonkevansPeople can never save us from our emptiness. No husband, no children, no community, will ever be enough to defeat what Dorothy Day called "the long loneliness". All my life, I've wanted people to take away the transcendent ache. Well-meaning folks often advise that that's the place within us "only God can fill", and I guess technically that's true. But in my experience, in this life even God Himself rarely feels enough, but for brief grace moments in time. The loneliness, the ache, is simply part of the human condition. We can welcome the loneliness when it comes, we can be glad to see it go when it lifts, we can feel what we feel without running from it or judging it. But we can never demand that people be the remedy for it. #romanticthoughtsforvalentinesday
- shannonkevans@kathrynkrueger miss you, lady cakes
- shannonkevans@kwhitaker96 Dorothy on the brain today! 😆
- melissajdebarSo so true.
- seghali8574Yes!! I feel this too!
- kbthebraveHeavy words I can attest to feeling. 💛
- agentlemotherThis has been on my heart a lot lately. So hard to stop seeking to fill that "hole" with earthly things and people and look heavenward.
- andalina1301I'd like to start reading Dorothy Day - is there a particular/favorite work you'd recommend?
- huiswerksAmen and amen.
- thismessygraceYES. well you've written my soul today, so I need do no more (!!)
- tartpiefYES. Thanks for saying that out loud. I am single and have made the mistake of thinking "Only God can fill your void" meant I was entitled to the fulfillment.
- amoderngraceYesssss. PREACH. 💜❤️💜
- growingupgambillsSo true.
- ciara_liz_bridThank you.
- _quesosuizoI have always understood that other humans can't fill the ache and that it is much too burdensome to the people I love to expect them to be able to. What I seriously never thought about was accepting it as part of the human condition. Now that I have, thanks to you, I can work toward being at peace with the ache rather than ignoring it like my growing pile of laundry. It is also so much easier to appreciate sunshine and laughter and love when it is in stark contrast with the ache.
- shannonkevans@andalina1301 I really love her autobiography, The Long Loneliness. It's sometimes slow, but if you're open to that sort of thing you might love it 💜
- shannonkevans@thismessygrace never!
- shannonkevans@tartpief it's tempting to write that kind of prescription, but I think even that can be unrealistic and leave us disillusioned and angry with God
- shannonkevans@_quesosuizo 💞 hugs!
- andalina1301@shannonkevans thanks!
- maybellballariSpeaking my experience ✊
Log in to like or comment.