yaleYale President Peter Salovey announced today that the university would rename Calhoun College, one of 12 undergraduate residential colleges, to honor one of Yale’s most distinguished graduates, Grace Murray Hopper ’30 M.A., ’34 Ph.D., by renaming the college for her.
Salovey made the decision with the university’s board of trustees — the Yale Corporation — at its most recent meeting. “The decision to change a college’s name is not one we take lightly, but John C. Calhoun’s legacy as a white supremacist and a national leader who passionately promoted slavery as a ‘positive good’ fundamentally conflicts with Yale’s mission and values,” Salovey said. “I have asked Jonathan Holloway, dean of Yale College, and Julia Adams, the head of Calhoun College, to determine when this change best can be put into effect.” In selecting a new name for the college at the corner of College and Elm streets, Yale honors the life and legacy of Grace Murray Hopper. Hopper “was an exemplar of achievement in her field and service to her country,” said Salovey. “As we considered potential namesakes, the trustees and I benefited from hundreds of unique naming suggestions made by alumni, faculty, students, and staff who either advocated for a name change to this college or submitted ideas for the names of the two new residential colleges. This community input was indispensable: Hopper’s name was mentioned by more individuals than any other, reflecting the strong feeling within our community that her achievements and life of service reflect Yale’s mission and core values.” #Yale
- susanis99@georgia_redshirts If you like racists.
- cateyyyyyyyyy@susanis99 thank you mam
- elteescat@susanis99 I support telling the truth and not sugarcoating history just so your wittle snowflake feewings don't melt.
- susanis99@elteescat Enough snowflakes and you get a blizzard and we will bury you.
- elteescat@susanis99 Don't worry. The Trump Train can blast through it!
- gabola1The comments here reflect a lot of today's problems. People feel emboldened to express racist views and to insult complete strangers. An ugly side effect of Trump. This is why Yale made the right move despite people who want to take us backwards.
- prospekts.marchThis is a good example of when conservatives have a conniption and start whining about Marxism and things that don't have any correlation to the photo. If you all want to support a white supremacist, go ahead. I'm sure most of you supported Trump anyway. Yale: keep on fighting.
- itsdadasupreme_I read all these comments and I just read the post. If Mr. Calhoun is a racist then the school name should be changed. I applaud Yale for doing this and it's a step in the right direction. Mr.Calhoun supported slavery as a positive good which is disturbing that most of ya'll are hollering over this
- itsdadasupreme_Those who are hollering over this change is laughable. I don't support Hillary I am a conservative and I don't support slavery or anything close to it.
- susanis99@gabola1 Exactly!
- susanis99@dvn77777 I went to Yale. You evidently didn't. Bye now!
- susanis99@dvn77777 A racist, you mean.
- gabola1@susanis99 indeed! My son is a Yale grad and he and all of his friends are so happy about this change.
- aquamanh_townAgainst the historical man from long ago views........but I think the deletion of history is the a bigger problem with all this Confederacy name changes these days........as a history buff, I dont want past to be reduced.....because then it might be repeated in a different(or same) way
- susanis99@gabola1 ❤️😀👍🏻
- susanis99@aquamanh_town Some of the Calhoun artifacts are going to be used as historic teaching points. Just not celebrating him.
- cateyyyyyyyyy@right_wing_god thank you🙂
- el_ruso_por_siempre@right_wing_god usa is a White country
- lonzell.wilkesPlease read my booked called "Reflective Thoughtful Moments ",by author Lonzell Wilkes. Sometime the greatness of a great man is determined by what he can think of! General Philosophy!
- foghornlee@gabola1 that's cause your son is a pussy
Log in to like or comment.