nasajplThis image reveals an impact crater, nine kilometers in diameter, with a central peak. Impact craters of various sizes and ages can be found across the Martian surface. Each impact crater on Mars possesses a unique origin and composition, which makes the HiRISE team very interested in sampling as many of them as possible! Like the impact of a droplet into fluid, once an impact has occurred on the surface of Mars, an ejecta curtain forms immediately after, contributing to the raised rim visible at the top of the crater's walls. After the formation of the initial crater, if it is large enough, then a central peak appears as the surface rebounds. These central peaks can expose rocks that were previously deeply buried beneath the Martian surface.The blue and red colors in this enhanced-contrast image reflect the effects of post-impact sedimentation and weathering over time. #Mars #photo #space #exploration #MRO #HiRISE #NASA #JPL #crater #JourneyToMars
- hooman_moradifarThanks for this one! Have a great day!
- fitrocketscientistThanks for sharing!! 🔴🛰🌌
- 13wojtek777Amazing! 😍👍🔝
- the_beautiful_spaceYou can find all about our Solar system and space exploration visit my profile and follow me Enjoy !! 😍 😍 😍 😍
- sandylj2120Beautiful photograph 💜💙
- azstuGreat Tones and detail
- davidgdn5would so love to go to Mars ... and return!
- apolloprogram@nasajpl 🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀🚀
- shahhhhhabبسیار زیبا ، جو مریخ
- wergoheb@davidgdn5 I wouldn't mind dying on mars, just not on impact
- _chris5dYeah righttttttt this picture could be from anything
Log in to like or comment.