save_the_mermaidsOne of the worst whale beachings in New Zealand’s history occurred this morning after more than 400 pilot whales got stuck in the sand. Volunteers and conservation workers raced to help save as many as possible at Farewell Spit, the northern tip of the South Island.
Mass pilot-whale stranding is common in New Zealand and occurs most years at the Farewell Spit, which has reportedly been described as a whale trap. However, according to Inwood, the scale of Friday’s beaching has nevertheless come as a shock.
Thank you to all the amazing people who went out there in force to help these beautiful animals. When we come together with concern and love we can change the future for all. It's inspiring to see so many people come out and spend all day saving as many pilot whales as possible.
- nikolasvegasSometimes I wonder what there could be that contributes to this sort of behaviors by such smart mammals.
- thebohemiancowgirlsTrue act of kindness.
- heathergoeswanderingWhy do they get stuck???
- lauren_jane_crittenSo sad
- allyappSo sad:( happy people are helping
- save_the_mermaidsFarewell Split is a sliver of sand that arches like a hook into the Tasman Sea, and it for some seems to confuse whales and has been the site of previous mass standings.
There are many theories of why whales get stuck and strand themselves from choosing prey too far inshore to trying to protect a member of the group who is sick. @nikolasvegas @heathergoeswandering
- mubyamTragedies like this don't often make the news... 😪
- olovesm_bagsSo sad and in such a special and beautiful place- thank you to the people who went to help❤
- greenbluemarbleDid all 400 make it back to water? Or did all die? 😔😩💔
- simplychaselifestyleThis is devastating 😢
- awolfster💔 @gvastola
- save_the_mermaids@greenbluemarble not all died. It has been reported differently but it seems that an estimated 100 survived.
- baliforniasurfOmg 😢 Why did it happen?
- itsleticiasantanaIt hurts my heart, this picture...
- bocasaveourbeachesSo sad. 😢
- marinamermaidOh goodness gracious, I'm so glad some survived. Nature has a weird way of doing things....
- jennyd_68😭 💔
Log in to like or comment.