katekoleA couple days ago, I wrote an article about the body shaming @ladygaga received after her Super Bowl performance. I admitted in it that each time I see a celebrity like Lady Gaga criticized for failing to meet the image of what it means to be the ideal woman, I start to feel an extra dose of self-judgement creep in. I wonder, if she’s not enough then what am I? I’d be lying if I said that I don’t stare and sometimes scrutinize my belly that’s never housed a 6-pack. That I don’t wince a bit as my shirt inches up to reveal that my midsection isn’t perfect as I'm teaching yoga. That I’m yet to ever meet the standard that I’ve been hoping to achieve for the better part of the last 15 years.
The same day I wrote my article @hailley.rose and @ginamarie_vincent started the amazing, empowering, and inspiring #loveyourbellymovement and you know what? I'm with them. I'm done thinking my belly isn't beautiful because it isn't always flat, tan, and toned. I'm done feeling ashamed and embarrassed when my shirt sneaks up to expose what I've always felt the need to hide because it isn't perfect. I'm done thinking that somehow not having a 6-pack means not being enough.
My belly is strong. It's what supported me through 2 hours of shoveling yesterday and it carries me through hours of teaching each week. It's my source of inspiration as listening to my gut drives me to act on where my soul and intuition are leading me. It is my joy and the place that houses my deepest laughter and connection to others. And beyond all else, it is mine. Perfectly imperfect and uniquely distinct.
So, I’ll take this body of mine that may forever be seen and judged by others as flawed, believing instead that it is its own brand of beautiful. Beautiful that isn’t meant to be compared or scrutinized, but celebrated and embraced.
P.S. If you're still reading, I was scared to post this. But I did it anyway. Because my belly told me so.
#iamwoman #thepowerofshe #bellyisthenewbooty #perfectlyimperfect #ordinarycourage #showmeyourbelly #welovebellies #thepowerofwe #nofilter
- diane_bodenLove this! ❤
- sgillette8925Love everything about this! 💕👊🏼
- cupofcatherineLove this!!
- ginamarie_vincentYOU ARE AMAZING!!!
- hailley.roseYou ARE your own brand of beautiful. You are designed to be celebrated and embraced. I love this SO much. Thank you so much for posting and for sharing in a real, authentic and courageous way. I am inspired by YOU @katekole ❤
- miss_jenn_burgosLove this Kate! I feel the same way about my shirt inching up during yoga sculpt and low body. Thank you for being you and always inspiring me! 😘
- katekole@miss_jenn_burgos you're amazing, strong, and beautiful! Hope you know that! And you, my lady, inspire me!! 💪😅
- nptihoustonGreat post Kate! Keep inspiring and teaching.
- abontuThis is beautiful, you are beautiful. Love you Kate! ❤❤
- carissabarcusYeah! When I saw @ladygaga perform I though, wow, look at her amazing belly! She's like me. I felt better about myself that if she can be so amazing AND have a little belly then I can too! Then the criticism came and I was pissed.
- embiancamanoYou're just awesome
- jennafitchickNice! :)
Log in to like or comment.