digthischickI've had a tough week as Andy and I navigate what seems to be the end our cat's life. He's been with us for almost 18 years. I went for a snowy hike with my dog to clear my mind and take deep breaths. But had to quickly turn around because I got a call from the school saying Ruby is sick. As I scurried down the slippery trail, a man scolded me because Mabel had run through his yard. He yelled and yelled and he couldn't hear my apology as I leashed her up through an onslaught of fast, hot, tired tears. Then! I slipped on the ice and fell so hard, cracking my tailbone and elbow. I swear, this day.
That man's aggression was hard to absorb. He had no way of knowing my distraction and sleep deprivation over a sick cat and sick kid. And I don't know his story. But I learned the power we all have in a single interaction, for better or worse. We have the power to be mean or nice, accusatory or communicative, oppressive or uplifting. In every single interaction, we have the power to begin with empathy and benefit of the doubt. So that was a really good birthday gift. Today is my birthday. I'm 39. And now I'm off to use my last-year-of-thirty-something power to nourish my sick kid, snuggle my old cat and smile at every person I see today, starting with you.
- twice5miles❤ Happy Birthday.
- dizzyhappymamaWe all needed this one
- hayleybabbittSo grateful for the insight I've received and support I've felt via your sharing over the years 🙏🏻 Blessings for novel modes of connection on Mother Earth 🌿
- tamilasdLove your blog and this amazing picture! Happy Birthday!
- ckduarteHope your day turned around. Happy birthday!
- happythisHappy 39th. I promise you - It only gets better (40's that is!). And your attitude to take a crappy interaction and to turn it on its head is worth everything. Here's wishing you kindness and strength and compassion as you tend to your fur baby and to your baby.
- paigegreenphotoYou bring so much good into the world and it will come back to you. 1,163 likes... that is a lot of love on your birthday.
- paigegreenphotoHarper said, does she live in Iceland? Does she live in Santa Rosa?
- evanissimoHappy Birthday 🎉🎉 you have a beautiful smile 😍
- meghanssjGeez, I hope that guy saw you fall and it haunts his dreams. I am sorry all that happened. Here is to a beautiful next year in a usually happy life, and to surviving the bad moments with gratitude intact!
- kristincita@cort917 read this story and think about how you choose peace over persecuted. Every time.
- leenie_kmtHappy last year of being 30-something! Keep on doing what your doing. It's all good.
- hazelnigellaOh no Nici what a rubbish day! But happy Birthday and I truly hope the rest of the day improved and that Ruby is feeling better.
- emilypapaleoHappy birthday and sending strength and healing wishes to you and you family. You have a beautiful way of viewing the world and it's a privilege to share it through these little squares xxx
- tonettetimekisses (and smiles) to you, beautiful woman.
- honibeanbarrett💖💖Without even knowing you I feel the power of his words 😔
- rooneysroostI know we have talked, but I just read this... SAM=LOVE. When we have sick kids, we wish we could exchange places...A Mama's love in kids, pets, friends, family, life & EVERYTHING in between is is unmeasurable... YOU GOT THIS & I got you BURB 💗
- maggiefullerphotographyThank you for sharing and Happy Birthday!!!! Hope you get out and about this weekend with your people ❤
- starryknightdesignHappy birthday gorgeous lady
Log in to like or comment.