renzzeOne of the key highlights in the grottos (which barely escaped the flood) is this big 27-meter-tall (88 feet) sitting Buddha that is about 1,200 years old. The Maitreya Buddha of the Tang Dynasty is said to be done in the likeness of Wu Zetian, the only female emperor in China. She donated a lot to Buddhist temples in her reign and it was an era where many of the Buddhas features had some of her likeness. In this way, she was perceived more like a heavenly appointed ruler. How's that for smart branding?
#renzzechinaadventures #renzzeLanzhouAdventures #renzzesilkroadAdventures #canonsg
- gramkillerzLove the facts! Very informative!
- scoopsofjoyOoh Wow I love reading the history behind your photos! Now that is a badass lady! 😍
- rhuandluluThis is remarkable! Thanks for sharing the history 😊
- heyitssamaraaWhat an amazing statue! Would love to go here one day
- vickyrose94Love all this history! I'm so jealous!
- hippieinheelsblogAww so stunning! 😍
- lailaslittlefindswhat incredible thing to see in person!
- desirechanteuseSuch a beautiful landmark! I always wonder how people managed to build structures this tall
- joannamhuiWow! Such a cool fact and sight!
- hollylowejonesThat is magnificent! Didn't know about the female emperor
- yvsomeLove reading your captions!
- viaggiatoriIncredible: amazing 😉
- nuriavidal7Thats hugeeeee!! So cool 😍😍
- ladykatiebeeThis is so incredible! I have to visit sometime !
- ali_loreWow this buddah is incredibly enormous! I would like to see this place!
- thomaswestmaccotIt's amazing!
- natalianaaWhoaaa look at those tiny people!
- taste.companyVery very smart, I'd be scared though to go near, looks ginormous!
- thesaltyfernSo lovely!
Log in to like or comment.