decemberschildTrip to Bombay for Bombay-ey things and I thought I'd get myself in the Bollywood mood by reading the two most recent star autobiographies (Karan Johar and Rishi Kapoor). An Unsuitable Boy is the least self aware memoir I've ever read, illustrating all that is wrong with Bollywood ("my dad was so sad that his rakhee sisters didn't give me the award") ("so hurt that Kareena asked for more money, how dare she") ("why should I make movies about poor people? Don't rich people have problems too?") and yet, and yet, if you read it straight through it'll teach you more about the ins and outs of the Indian film industry than anything else, I think, just by examining a privileged person. Also hugely entertaining even while you're rolling your eyes. #150in2017 #bookstagram #nowreading #mrmbookclub
- arundatiBeen wanting to get this one
- mahimavashishtThis is exactly the kind of honest review I was looking for before starting this one
- anuradhabHahaa great review! I was looking for this and twinkle's book at the airport but no joy. Will kindle!
- gauravkabuarora@decemberschild Such a coincidence.. Started this book today on kindle.. And have the same cover..
- mahimavashishtFinished reading the book and cannot believe how bang on your words "least self aware" were! They kept echoing in my head as the tone in the book got from honest to endearing to whiny to annoying to pitiable 😐
- decemberschild@mahimavashisht right? Amusing though, I thought
- mahimavashisht@decemberschild Yeah I mean to the extent that seeing a grown ass man talk like a kid and bare all his insecurities in a semi-coherent-at-best rant of a book can be amusing. I felt rather sad for the, to use his own words, "poor little rich boy". Voyeuristically speaking this was a book equivalent of his show, I thought. Not proud of enjoying it, just like his show. :)
- maryannttaylorI started reading this today and the eye rolling has begun. "I always tell people not to make the mistake of having one child. It is just not fair." Umm ok then.
Log in to like or comment.