forkingandcountryA 2017 REVELATION
There we were in the rolling hills of Kentucky, surrounded by nothing but trails and nature. My wife gave me a beautiful gift this Christmas - 3 days away at a silent retreat at the Abbey of Gethsemani. It's interesting, isn't it, the idea of noise in everyday life? Here we found ourselves eating in silence, walking through the woods feeling the sunshine on our face a bit more, seeing the starkness of winter in front of us, hearing the breeze in our ears, with this absence of talking. And I had a bit of a revelation, that after 151 shows last year and 158 the year prior, filled with wonderful memories and moments seeing and meeting you, it's still quite easy to lose yourself in it all. It's easy to run away from the silence. And yet for 3 days, we found ourselves doing just the opposite - running into the quiet and embracing it.
If I have one resolution in 2017, it would be to dive headlong into the beauty of being still and realizing that it's not the quantity of one's actions or engagements or performances, but the quality of this life journey we're all on.
We're so pleased to ANNOUNCE that we're in LA to officially begin writing and recording our new album! And with it, this restoring truth is something I will take with me in every area of life. I hope in 2017 it will be something you will carry with you, as well. To be still and know that God is God, and that no matter what life brings us, success, failure, loss, or plenty, that it's in the quiet moments, the still moments that we find the trueness of who we are.
I'll leave us with a quote from Thomas Merton, one of the monks from the Abbey:
"There are times, then, when in order to keep ourselves in existence at all we simply have to sit back for a while and do nothing. The very act of resting is the hardest and most courageous act…” Love to you,
Joel (& Luke)
- antpon233Words of wisdom Joel!
- maryethzabaletaI thought for a moment that you were announcing a baby 😅 Very lovely message, thou.
- tara_youngdahlAmen to that! Well said. Time to listen to God is invaluable. We need to do it more and more as this world keeps moving faster. God bless all of you for your consistent and noble messages to young women and men. Keep fighting the good fight!
- hannah.banana5SO EXCITED! Very proud of you guys
- juliewalker8151Blessings n truth in His Majesty
- stephaniehanson26Woo-hoo Kentucky my birthplace.
- graciestation51I can't wait for your third album.😁😁😁
- hhheyitskimmmyyyCan't wait to c u guys 💜💜
- cndallas1101@forkingandcountry beautiful message.❤
- mrsvisser14Can't wait to hear what the Lord has put on your hearts! See you in Red Deer Alberta, can't wait for our youth to see you guys live! @forkingandcountry
- baseballbrb10@forkingandcountry I know this is off topic from the picture posted but I finally got to see your new movie priceless after being out underwater for a little over a month. Amazing beautiful job great message for all. Thank you so much for the movie wish I could've seen it in theaters too but no worries I bought the movie and will support this movement. Now please make a trip out to Hawaii!!!!
- piano_player44Amazing. THANK YOU for sharing your precious and heartfelt thoughts & moments
- katiestmarsGood on ya mate - "be still and know that I am God"
- smithlcheri12Enjoy the peace and quiet. Can wait for new music. Absolutely love you guys!
- zinger7813Amen and Amen, brother (s). Just this past summer, I had virtually the same revelation. I wrote a campfire-like song about it during a week long youth retreat and we ended up singing it one night around the fire. As simple and cheesy as it may be, the tune has stayed in my head since and frequently centers me. Here's a link if anyone wants to read the lyrics or hear it: https://www.facebook.com/dnoftzger/videos/vb.183502664/10100217673229736/?type=3&theater
- zinger7813Doesn't seem that links work when pasting in Instagram. Uploaded the video to YouTube. Maybe this will work: https://youtu.be/8ggAsB165LY
- c.loree73I too agree that the quiet is where I long to be, and it's while there that I feel Gods presence. Maybe you could make it to Australia or even better to make the trip further south to tassie!?!
- pamelatgdejesusIn the quiet is where I heard God the loudest
- mom2jagsBeautifully stated. Thank you!
Log in to like or comment.