michaelaanneAaron and I just spent the last week in a small beach town in southern Mexico. It was incredible to say the least but what I found so fascinating were the many enlightening conversations we had with so many different kinds of people. We left the country the day the immigration ban was announced. With heavy hearts, we chose to turn our phones off and avoid the news, just for the week. We weren't sure what to expect in this new world climate. But what we experienced was intimate, honest, vulnerable conversations with an array of people: young Mexicans who grew up in the US but returned to their home country, middle aged Mexicans who'd never left their small town, near retirement age American tourists from the Deep South, younger and older Canadians asking us what the hell our president is destroying today....in many conversations, we didn't always agree on everything, others we were strongly aligned...but in this beautiful setting, surrounded by gracious, generous, hard working, loving and welcoming locals....it was a beautiful and inspiring reminder that this world is vast and extremely diverse. And shutting it out, to me, is never the answer. And at their core, the majority of people are loving, kind, good hearted people. I don't know why fear and hate has currently risen to the top but I'm choosing optimism, through the darkness light will surely come if we stick together, and choose to "fight" and "resist" with intelligence, compassion, honor and love.
- woods311Fight and resist... i love it!
- woods311Shine bright and maybe our light will shine brighter
- fierce.motherYES. Shine on, beauty. 🙌🏼❤🙏🏼
- yerbluezWhereabouts was this? I visited Mexico in 2006 and it was much the same, welcomed with open arms and minds by everyone we met. Of course if you listened to the news then, they were saying you'd be murdered if you went south of the border. All the fear really is a shame.. glad to hear it was a good experience
- hoyamajonTruly spoken, and beautiful! We must resist without 'othering', resist by loving those we're told to hate, gathering in those we are told to fear!
- jordangerdelory@ryantheblum only thinks about tacos 🌮
- jordangerdeloryHappy honeymooning!
- helynrainLove y'all. Can't wait to hear more. Xoxoxo
- michaelaanne@jordangerdelory @ryantheblum we did have some good tacos too! And Chilaquiles!
- amybuckley_12It was a pleasure meeting you two sweet souls.. Wishing u love & happiness! Will come see u perform asap! Bob & Amy Buckley( the Doctor with the black eye) 😂
- michaelaanne@amybuckley_12 you all seriously were a highlight of our trip. We loved meeting you guys. So much love to you and Dr. Bob (my favorite)! Hope to visit you when we come through MS some time too! Xo
Log in to like or comment.