sistasinzion#BlackHistoryMonth Day-2 "No More!" The days of slavery our music has taken on different shapes and sound. Music was a way that we escaped the brutal atrocities of slavery while still being enslaved. It was through music and word that we communicated "tonight I will steal my own body, I'm gonna follow the North Star." It was through rhythmic word and movement while picking cotton in the hot fields of the south that we said our "good-byes" to loved ones as we sang prayers to a God we'd hoped would lead them to freedom and safety. "No More!" Tells the story of the slave in a manner that children understand. This book is a a great tool that parents and educators can use as they broach a difficult conversation of an embarrassing part of our American/world history. These stories, slave stories, though difficult to grasp, teach our children to have love and empathy for their brothers and sisters of all ethnicities.
P.S. The illustration is absolutely AMAZING!
#sharegoodness #jesusisthetruth #sistasinzion #mormonswag #abookaday #AmericanHistory
- carolinebeardallHave you or your kids read the Addy Walker American Girl series? I read these when I was younger and they are INCREDIBLE! Well written stories and in the back of the books are little history moments from Addy's time that are appropriate for kids to read.
- helenhighwater2005@carolinebeardall don't say that, I got an Addie doll with the expectation of cleaning her up and selling her on, but now I'm going to want to read the stories and keep her! She's really pretty, we just have dozens of dolls and can't keep them all :(
- dawnjolleyHave you seen Hidden Figures yet? What a perfect movie for the month! I loved it!
- amerooniedesignsSo glad you are sharing these! It's important that we take time to see things through another's eyes. Grateful for those with courage to tell hard stories and for those brave enough to read them!
- hjmenloveI want to share it with my four children!! Thanks for sharing
- gamma_hunI love this!
- mamaneweySistas! 🙏🏼💕💕
- mlwasdenReally interesting. These Black History Month posts are a great idea! Keep up the good work.
- nolenryan_photographyNice pic!
Log in to like or comment.