metmuseumBorn on the island of Nevis on this day in 1755, Alexander Hamilton famously died in a duel with Aaron Burr in 1805. After his death, there was a great demand for portraits of the revolutionary statesman. The painter John Trumbull produced several replicas, including this example, of a portrait he had made of Hamilton from life. Nearly a century later, this painting became the first early American work to enter The Met's collection. John Trumbull (American, 1756–1843). Alexander Hamilton, 1804–6 #AlexanderHamilton #JohnTrumbull @metamericanwing #AaronBurr #Hamilton
- shop_somethingelse👛 💁
- 8billionactsCheers :)
- valence_studioPlease check out our page for most trendy luxury items! 🎁🎁🎁🎁
- longwharfsupplyGreat shot 👍
- fitzstephenbonoBeautiful work of art
- beautyentourageSo pretty!
- melhoresdocespt👍 👍
- mbird53One of my favorite portraits at the Met! ❤
- kodamalighti dig this.
- fashionbyheAmazing post
Log in to like or comment.