optiat_coOPTIAT LOVES the hand-painted poem by Indian author Nissim Ezekiel featuring on the windows of @dishoom Shoreditch - can’t help but notice it every time we go to collect their used coffee grounds! ☕️ The poem documents the rules found in the Iranian cafes in colonial Bombay during in the 20th century. Irani immigrants crossed the Indian Ocean and set up cafes, which quickly became an institution – at their peak, there were more than 400 (Shoreditch - eat your heart out)! However, their numbers soon dwindled from the 1970s onwards.
Why the decline? As Bombay became Mumbai, the children of these café owners became lawyers and accountants. Cafés became bittersweet memories. India raced into the future, barely pausing to remember its past. Both the interior and exterior of Dishoom pay homage to that past.
At Optiat, we pay homage to the many cafes, restaurants and bars that supply us with their coffee. Each has their own quirks and stories to tell, and over time we will share them with you! Know any of your own? Let us know! #optiatloves
- optiat_co#dishoom #shoreditch #dishoomshoreditch #optiat #coffeescrub #london #food #family #friends #design #interiors #interiordesign #history #story #poem #poetry #coffee #coffeescrub #coffeeshop #bombay #mumbai #thisislondon #indianfood #foodie #bombaycafe #londonfoodie #instafood #restaurant
- nowdelhiReally nice!
- lemoustachecafeWow, on adore!
- champagne_and_barbells@optiat_co hi there will you be attending any events this week or is the best way to buy online? Thanks!
- optiat_co@champagne_and_barbells hey! We'll be at the Fit & Fresh Fest at the Hoxton Hotel in Shoreditch on 28 Jan, otherwise it's free shipping on all orders over £15 at optiat.com!
- champagne_and_barbells@optiat_co leaving 3 weeks as of sat, want to bring gifts, ok will make an order thanks
- optiat_co@champagne_and_barbells brilliant news - and thank you! Will keep an eye out
Log in to like or comment.