desiringgod"The psalmist preaches to his own soul. Verse 5: 'Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my salvation and my God.' Oh, how crucial this is in the fight of faith. We must learn to preach the truth to ourselves. Listen to Lloyd-Jones take hold of this verse:⠀
'Have you realized that most of your unhappiness in life is due to the fact that you are listening to yourself instead of talking to yourself? Take those thoughts that come to you the moment you wake up in the morning. You have not originated them, but they are talking to you. They bring back the problems of yesterday, etc. Somebody is talking. Who is talking to you? Your self is talking to you. Now this man’s treatment [in Psalm 42] was this: Instead of allowing this self to talk to him, he starts talking to himself. "Why art thou cast down, O my soul?" he asks. His soul had been depressing him, crushing him. So he stands up and says, "Self, listen for a moment. I will speak to you." (Spiritual Depression, 20–21)'⠀
On this side of the cross, we know the greatest ground for our hope: Jesus Christ crucified for our sins and triumphant over death. So the main thing we must learn is to preach the gospel to ourselves:⠀
'Listen, self: If God is for you, who can be against you? He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for you, how will he not also with him graciously give you all things? Who shall bring any charge against you as God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died — more than that, who was raised — who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for you. Who shall separate you from the love of Christ?' (Romans 8:31–35, paraphrased)⠀
Learn to preach the gospel to yourself. If this psalmist were living after Christ, that is what he would have done." Read more at desiringGod.org // Link in profile.⠀
- firstname.lastname@example.org oo this is goood
- jiekicauSo much truth! Thank you!
- belovedamy14@nikcnik 🙌🏼🙌🏼🙌🏼
- helena_faniotAmen 🙏
- kaitjmiller@aprilpit I LOVED this today 🙌
- nicoloholic@grahambae sounds awfully familiar... did u write dis?
- lanitalynnYES!!! I always say to #bossyoursoul!!!
- m_urcuyo@isa0801 @anavinocour @sabricruz33 @mariale567 @sofimadrigal18 vean lo chuzo
- anavinocour@m_urcuyo solo demasiado increible
- sabricruz33@m_urcuyo wow sii😍
- grahambae@nicoloholic oops, I totally forgot to reply to this. I did indeed quote part of this in my sermon on the same text, but as the recording will testify I attributed it to Lloyd-Jones and didn't try to present it as my own :)
Log in to like or comment.