helprefugeesukThis is how hundreds of refugees in Paris slept last night - between traffic lanes, in gutters, on streets. The temperatures have been sub zero and are set to drop to -6 degrees celsius next week.
Meanwhile volunteers we work with report that some police have been taking refugees' sleeping bags away from them late at night, and Medecins Sans Frontieres (Doctors Without Borders) have had to treat 8 people for hypothermia.
Paris is the 5th richest city in the world, people who have escaped from war, persecution and poverty should not be subjected to these horrific conditions, sleeping outside in freezing temperatures. We call on the mayor of Paris, the state and large NGOs to find better solutions and for refugees to be treated with dignity.
Help Refugees has sent emergency funding to volunteers in Pairs to purchase sleeping bags and warm clothing and our team in the Calais warehouse are also offering support.
We will continue to support the teams and refugees in Paris - if you'd like to donate you can at www.helprefugees.org.uk
Photos: Danica Jurisic
- london_city_mumIt's so terrible that the 5th wealthiest city in the world treats these people like this! 😪
- rachelnapierartCan't believe it 😢😢😢💔
- angel2treesInhumane 😢
- branden_craigGet with it Paris, this is horrible
- ruthyralph😔 what's wrong with the world. I just can't understand it all .
- sugaradejadeTaking sleeping bags away??? Unbelievably disgusting. 😥
- honeyscratch@mervette_ @danakhatoot so sad, I don't understand taking people's sleeping bags. They're doing that to the homeless in America too
- annika___mcWho is your contact in paris? I live here and would like to help
- loumil2608There are more homeless sleepers on the streets in London at the moment than I've seen in the 18 years I've lived here. Worse than ever! Awful. And everywhere, not just the west end.
- m.debra.gIt's an honour to support your work @helprefugeesuk thank you so much for providing support to these innocent people!
- hanna_lee_brownThank you for the report. Does anyone know how homeless shelters in Paris play into this? What are the factors preventing some refugees from getting to city shelters or camps?
- connect_refugeesIf they need phone credit @helprefugeesuk to let family know they are safe, get them in touch with us xx
Log in to like or comment.