csirogramAn ice circle (a thin and circular slab of ice that rotates slowly in the water) has appeared in the Snoqualmie River, just outside of Seattle. Ice cirlces/discs are relatively rare, forming on the outer bends in a river where the accelerating water creates a force called 'rotational shear', which breaks off a chunk of ice and twists it around. As the disc rotates, it grinds against surrounding ice — smoothing into a circle.
The mesmerising disc was captured on video by photographer @kaylynmesser
#CSIRO #ice #winter #Seattle #river #icecircle
- kathdunne__artworksSo cool - excuse the pun
- rich_finksterLike a record baby...right round
- spamfieldsIrrefutable evidence of aliens. 👽
- sky.mattWow and so related to #CSIRO, #Not...
- mocking_bird_picsAmazing! @ancret_shipton check this out...
- ancret_shiptonWow!! Cool!! @mocking_bird_pics
- thenameisprinzWhere is it located on the river?
- topbun_tantrums😻 @cooper_schouten
Log in to like or comment.