oaklandmuseumcaThis weekend, we lost a literal giant. The giant sequoia known as the iconic Pioneer Cabin Tree fell after the storm. The grove of giant sequoias in Calaveras county, now Big Trees State Park, is the oldest tourist attraction in the state. One way of emphasizing the size of the trees was by tunneling through them to allow carriages, and later cars, to pass through. The "Pioneer Cabin" was one of several such redwoods in the state. This postcard from Yosemite Valley, circa 1908, shows a horse-drawn buggy about to pass through one. 🌲 #MuseumofUs #PioneerCabinTree #BigTrees #GiantSequoia #CalaverasBigTrees #CaliforniaHistory #Yosemite
- heyguystudiosSpectacular composition on this one! 👏 🙌
- wheresaliceSo sad it's gone and didn't get to see it in person.
- wvapesSo sad. 💚🌿 Perhaps we shouldn't cut holes in giant tree's trunks after all?
- kickssf@wheresalice I fell exactly the same way 😕 the saying of you don't know what you have until you loose it applies here to me , b/c it was 2 hrs away from where I live shm 😑
- duhfeenahI loved witnessing that tree in all of its glory. 😔
- k8lorraine@reneeoden 😩
- lpike820Please visit Calaveras Big Trees State Park. No need to drive through a tree hole to appreciate the beauty of this special place.
- localfoodfunSo sad 😭
- email@example.com 😳
- aceliab@bornhistorian we camped here
- bornhistorianYee @aceliab
- a.millls@el_tee_smizz 😔
- el_tee_smizzDang @a.millls 😢
- gocalaverasTo learn more awe inspiring little known facts about the #pioneercabin tree--including what it looked like before the tunnel was carved through it and why it was chosen--visit our link in bio.
Log in to like or comment.