scoopsofjoyThe last picture from my Dothan, Alabama archive - for now.
My ex and I (with my stepson and our pug) drove all the way for the move from Latham, NY down to Dothan.
Dothan was "rough around the edges" as my best friend's son said. I had a difficult time settling in but this tropical girl love the weather (snow in Upstate NY was tough!) and I fell in love with the Southern Food.
My life in the States was short, 3+ years in total but Dothan will always be special to me because that's where my son was born.
Looking back now, I realized the source of my unhappiness while we were there didn't come from the town itself or the isolated feelings. It came from within me. From my inability to cope with early stages of motherhood (I had undiagnosed postpartum depression) and from not able to communicate my feelings. From my unrealistic expectations that my ex should make me happy. I was young...now I know better and I am grateful for the experiences.
One day I hope my son and I can return to Dothan so I could show him where he was born and spent the first year of his life.
- ellakatzzThanks for sharing! I'd love to hear more about postpartum depression (if you feel like sharing more of course). I feel like not a lot of people talk about it and its a very common thing :/
- travelshoesLove it
- anchored_mommyThis is so inspiring. I'm so glad you were able to overcome and learn from your experience
- ridgeproductionnever been but it looks rad
- veronicavridgeSo pretty love ❤️ it
- traveltoblankWow! That's quite a drive right?
- alexandrajehanThis is awesome :)
- sebwestonlewisWow 👍
- deesignplayLov the pretty skies
- jess_ismorePerfect capture of this part of the country!
- amaryroadLooks for amazing@
- amaryroadThis looks so amazing!
- karinabean14So cool! Love the story too 🙌🏼It's funny how we don't realize things like that until we look back afterwards.
- fashion_rhytmLove the scenery
- elenaobiedoThere will always be places that are special to our heart
- jarv1eI know exactly what you mean! Experiences are so precious.
- happyhealthyhipThanks for sharing. I can definitely relate to those early parenthood experiences. xo
- sarageffrardMy sister went through something similar 😕
- prettyandfunSuch a strong memory!
Log in to like or comment.